LISTEN: Rob Ford claims he's calling constituents while in rehab

Mayor Rob Ford tells the Toronto Sun he's still working while getting addiction treatment

Rob Ford speaks to reporters at Toronto City Hall. (file photo)
Photo: CTV News

Rob Ford claims he's getting the help he needs while still helping constituents.

In an interview with Toronto Sun columnist and NEWSTALK 1010 host Joe Warmington, the Mayor says he is making calls to constituents while in rehab.

"I am getting help but I still want to help," Ford told the Sun.

The mayor went on to call his experience at the treatment facility 'amazing' but he would not part with details on the name of the centre or where it is located.

Joe Warmington joined NEWSTALK 1010's Moore in the Morning to discuss his chat with the Mayor.

Warmington says he was surprised when Ford answered his phone call and adds that while he has no reason to doubt the Mayor's claims that he is in a rehab facility, he is taking Ford at his word...

Ford says the program he's enrolled in reminds him of a football camp he attended as a child.

The Mayor adds that he realises the mess that he left behind and calls alcohol the 'worst drug of all.'

As for the rehab program itself, Ford says he is working out every day and he's learning about himself and his past.

He says there are meetings with "eight people in a group" and sometimes four "then there is a meal" before they have "one-on-one sessions."

While Ford would not say when he might be out of rehab, he promises he will be back in time for October's municipal election.

He pledges he will 'kick butt' once he's back in action.

1. Alex posted on 05/07/2014 06:17 AM
    Sounds kind of fishy. Experts say they take away phones when doing the treatment.
    1. Tangential posted on 05/07/2014 08:14 AM
      @Alex Speaking of fishy, when is Spring Fishing Season in Ontario?

Maybe Rob is doing "rehab" in a fishing lodge in the North Bay area with good buddies such as Mike Harris.
    2. 1231231 posted on 05/07/2014 01:21 PM
      @Alex This is a guy who hired a convicted steroid trafficker to help him with his workouts. What exactly were you expecting he do? Hire a professional?
  2. Suz58 posted on 05/07/2014 07:17 AM
    Haha, the lies are just going to get more interesting from here! Not only is this guy taking everyone that voted for him as a fool, he is mocking the whole point of rehab. "Amazing", really? I never thought anyone had the right to know where Ford is however, I do believe that, given what is happening here, someone in city hall deserves to have proof that he is actually in rehab.
    I don't believe for one minute that he is going to stay away for a full month. Ford will come back, claiming he has lost weight.
    Rehab is tough! Not a walk in the park as this joker is making it look like.
    The last video of Ford "allegedly" smoking crack, took place in his sister's basement. As she said in the last interview with her mother by her side..."Robbie is no addict, I know because I was, am one". Well, that morning in her basement where a twenty year old took the video, it was Kathy, who use to be an addict that handed Ford the pipe. This whole family is in denial!
    Seriously, we have watched the videos of Ford while high. You see the rage, the ranting. Think about it for a minute. If he carries on like this while "high", do you think he would be as calm and composed as people are saying he was that spoke with him while in rehab yesterday?
    1. Sonny posted on 05/07/2014 11:05 AM
      @Suz58 On the CBC they reported a teen seeing Ford buying coffee which was confirmed by the 2 staffers at a Tim Hortons.

The 3 negative stories last week prompted Ford to leave rather than answer questions. He will try to make a come back. Would he go for sensitivity training for his sexist, racist and homophobic views...
    2. Suz58 posted on 05/07/2014 11:33 AM
      @Suz58 Here ya go, just in...Mayor Ford spotted at a Tim Horton's in Toronto yesterday!

Phoney liar!
  3. Doug Ford posted on 05/07/2014 07:24 AM
    Rob is doing great, wakes up every morning feeling himself, eats his honey for breakfast.

Rob is in a unique, self-directed rehab in a Toronto hotel (sorry, can't say where) so he doesn't pay long distance to call his supporters. The family visits all the time, we didn't take his phone and computer away, he's having one big party.

I'm trying to decide if he should take his name off the ballot and replace it with mine. Not a big change but at least I won't have to lead from the rear when elected. No more hiding behind the fat boy. I'll let you know shortly.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Karl Burgin, a Brampton resident, but a loyal supporter who promotes the Ford Dynasty without rest...I wish all of the volunteers had his energy. First my dad, then Rob and me, next the kids will be running for office.. What a great country, just call us the Kennedys.

Anyway, time to go feed Rob before he wastes away, then to make plans to take over this great city.
  4. Mares posted on 05/07/2014 07:27 AM
    When I was in rehab we were allowed to use the pay phone only after 10 days in. We were assigned a 10 minute time slot and this privilege was strictly monitored. When my turn came around I called my husband and spoke to my children, not to extended family, friends and neighbours. After the initial phone call, we were allowed to use the phone for 10 minutes which was scheduled between 7:00-9:00pm on Wednesdays and Saturdays for the duration of our stay. No exceptions to neither frequency nor duration. Period. For the first two weeks, I certainly did not find this experience amazing. I was a complete wreck.
    1. Crystal Strand posted on 05/07/2014 09:43 AM
      @Mares I totally agree. Usually the patient spends a couple of days in detox which is not a nice place to be. His body has to be de-toxified of the drugs and alcohol. The idea of rehab is total concentration on recovery. There is no time to make campaign calls in a real drug and alcohol rehab centre. Although I have never been to rehab, I have talked with many who have. They all describe the first week or two as "hell."
    2. Bob posted on 05/07/2014 12:38 PM
      @Mares please..! Rob isn't in one of those places. He's at an all inclusive resort with golf in the morn then lunch and cocktails followed by a couple of light hearted meetings in the aft. nap before dinner and drinks followed by some live entertainment then the escorts will show up just before 11 pm
  5. Brief and to the Point posted on 05/07/2014 07:30 AM
    This is definitive proof that Rob Ford is NOT in a REAL rehab facility.
    But, then again, are we really surprised that this is nothing more than another lie?
    1. john posted on 05/07/2014 10:38 AM
      @Brief and to the Point this what happens when u hang around a liberal to long . thay think people are lairs even with the proof right in front of them .
  6. Antoniette posted on 05/07/2014 08:42 AM
    Sounds to me like he is at a fat farm.

Remember his mom said he is ok, he just needs to loose a bit is weight. Seems he believes what she says. This is a mom of two addicts. A son and daughter.

What he is describing, exercising, meals, able to use phone at will, is amazing, I feel great, is not rehab but a weight loss facility.

He may return skinnier but unfortunately, no better at all.

Thanks,
  7. Suz58 posted on 05/07/2014 09:06 AM
    I couldn't agree with you more Antoniette! Just another story to suck the voters in.
    1. john posted on 05/07/2014 10:44 AM
      @Suz58 just like the liberals are doing right now .
  8. DavidW_8846 posted on 05/07/2014 09:41 AM
    By any definition, this is not rehab. If people can't see through this guy, then we deserve what we get when he is voted back in.
    1. john posted on 05/07/2014 10:47 AM
      @DavidW_8846 well Toronto keeps voting liberal so i see no reason why ford would not be voted in .
  9. justsaying posted on 05/07/2014 10:17 AM
    Rob is for sure at a Spa/ Weight Loss Center, not in a facility that deals with addicts.
    It shows us (again) that he does not give a flying F what anyone thinks about how he deals with his own problems...and we should just get off his back.

Oh and Doug running for Mayor - I'd think there is only one person in the city who is more reviled than Rob and that is Deny Everything and Everyone but me is a Liar - Doug Ford.

Besides the fact that he has never done one single municipally or civic-minded activities in his life - beside snapping up his brother's seat courtesy the Etobicoke Crack Head constituents and the Right Thinkers...who don't really think..... he has no qualifications to be a garbage man.... though I hear he was the best dealer his high school ever had! He was the dude! Enough already. Let's put this Ford family behind us. Bunch of thugs, druggies and goons.
    1. arthur posted on 05/07/2014 12:29 PM
      @justsaying the Fords give drug dealers/crack addicts/thugs a bad name.
      don't give them too much credit
  10. Karl Burgin posted on 05/07/2014 11:15 AM
    Can we please judge him on his overall demeanor when he comes back- and not before.

Its kinda sickening everyone wants Ford to march at the beat of their drum. All this with the media doing all it can to nail down where Ford is located.
    Geez, the man can't get any space- even especially when the situation calls for it.
    1. Angry Bill posted on 05/07/2014 11:35 AM
      @Karl Burgin I would agree, but people still have a valid argument when they say they'd like to know that Rob isn't lying this time.

Ford does need rehab.. A real rehab, though. Not a light, spa treatment kind of one. I admit I was a bit surprised when it appears he has unfettered access to his phone. That doesn't sound to me like any kind of serious rehab.

I'm all for letting him alone to deal with his demons, if that is indeed what he is doing. I'm sorry, but Rob Ford no longer gets the benefit of the doubt from the people of Toronto. He blew that good will over a long period of time. Now, people want proof that he really is in rehab. Real rehab. To me, under these circumstances, that is not an unreasonable thing to ask. And the only reason he would not be willing to provide that proof would be if he were indeed in a spa type environment instead.
    2. bigdaddy 7777 posted on 05/07/2014 11:59 AM
      @Karl Burgin You should change your name to Karl Ford and officially join the dysfunctional family of liars perpetually in denial.

You think judgement on his past behaviour ins't warranted. You're smoking the same shite he does.

If he wants to stay out of the media spotlight, why would had even speak with Joe Wormington!
  11. arthur posted on 05/07/2014 12:26 PM
    if you think things couldn't get more bizarre with these people then they are now. we haven't seen anything yet. just wait until the messiah returns from exile
  12. Karl Burgin posted on 05/07/2014 12:28 PM
    @ DIGDADDY 7777 (not sure if the first reply will show as the server crapped out on me. If there are two replies I do apologize)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Again I ask you, are you also considering the headlines when Ford was MIA and no one had heard from him?

The point I am trying to make (if you haven't figured it out already), is that regardless of whether Ford is absent or present, is talking or silent, the media will always be there to pick up the slack.
    I honestly thought that with Ford gone for a month, that the media machine would die down a bit. But no- its still going full steam.

The problem is that people don't believe Ford is in rehab. Ford tries to even establish that, and BLAMO! its everywhere. Let me spell out the sequence of events for you:
    1.> Ford says he's going to rehab and disappears immediately without telling anyone where
    2.>The media is in a frenzy because they would like to know where Ford is. He lawyer Dennis Morris says he's in rehab but won't disclose where- therefore no one believes him
    3.>He tell his brother Doug, who also confirms he's in rehab. No one believes him
    4.>Ford tells Denzin Menin-Wong he's in rehab. Still disbelief
    5.>Ford no tells Joe Warmington. And guess what? As from the majority of responses here- still disbelief

This pretty much outlines the situation. Nobody wants to hear the truth. They want the answer they want to hear.
    As I said, Ford is not the problem here. I cannot make you see that, nor am I interested in forcing you to. If you cannot even begin to connect the logic I'm laying out for you with what's going on, then you (like the rest of the maggot media) are victims of your own Ford addiction.
    1. Frankie posted on 05/07/2014 01:06 PM
      @Karl Burgin Here's the solution.

Ford should ask Dalton McGuinty to confirm he's in rehab. McGuinty was a serial liar as premier yet enough idiots believed him to keep voting him in so I'm sure everyone will believe whatever he says.
    2. EKW posted on 05/08/2014 12:43 PM
      @Karl Burgin @Karl Burgin

Let me spell out another sequence of events for you:

1. Ford says he didn't smoke crack
      2. Ford says he didn't smoke crack
      3. Ford says he didn't smoke crack
      4. Ford says he quit drinking
      5. Ford says he quit drinking
      6. Ford says he quit drinking

This pretty much spells out the situation. Everybody wants to hear the truth. They want the answer they want to hear - which is truth. And THEY NEVER GET IT. That's why the majority of responses are disbelief. THAT is very logical.
  13. dama posted on 05/07/2014 02:16 PM
    The sad truth is no matter what Rob Ford did or didn't do.. it will be claimed as lies.. lies lies..

I wonder why the media or any ordinary citien wants to know where Rob Ford is "rehabbing".. if Rob Ford is not a famous and popular mayor,, I bet the media will no give a hoot..

So in Joe Warmington's column.. that Rob Ford is still calling his constituents, personally, I dont think it is a good thing to do for he is going through rehab
    so you either believe on what Joe wrote or not..

majority of the haters will not..

so be it..
  14. Tangential posted on 05/07/2014 02:49 PM
    How about asking Doug to swear an affidavit at a Notary Public's office about Rob Ford's official stay at a recognized rehab program?
  15. Mark7 posted on 05/07/2014 02:59 PM
    Rob Ford is not in real rehab, there's no way he'd be reaching out this early. If you listen carefully to brother Doug, nowhere does he say that Rob's in rehab, just that he's in "an undisclosed location getting professional help"...that's not rehab, that's their Muskoka cottage and a pool boy.

The Ford's need to stop the bullshit, the last straw was Doug throwing Rob under the bus by saying that he might run for his job. A weird family and they need to go away.

So what's Rob going to do now that he can't cross the border?
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 05/07/2014 04:27 PM
      @Mark7 Don't you ever get tired of being a clone and a troll wrapped into one.
      YOU need to stop the BS. If you truly believe what you spew, use your own freakin' name, and stop hiding behind others.
      You're nothing more than a decrepit coward that feeds on confusion and chaos.
      You may fool some, but you don't fool me. And there's a growing bunch who are absolutely getting tired of your cheesy charade.
  16. Suz58 posted on 05/07/2014 05:08 PM
    If you look at the past, it is not what the Fords say that you need to listen to, it is what they do not say.
    Doug said yesterday that "Rob was doing good, working out". No, it would not be good for the media to know where Ford is, if in fact in rehab, as far as getting any kind of proof that he is in rehab, I think Karl is right. Even if we got a note from a Doctor or they told someone in city hall, no one would believe the information.
    As far as Doug running for Mayor, whoever said that he is throwing Rob under the bus, absolutely! But then I wonder, could this have been the plan all along?
    I have never heard anyone describe rehab as "amazing and like football camp".

Yes, these guys are train wrecks but there are not many rules to stop someone from running for council or the Mayors seat. The city allows it. It is the people that have to smarten up and not vote either one of them in again.
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 05/08/2014 01:30 PM
      @Suz58 As to reading into Doug running for mayor, I wouldn't read too much into it- until maybe I saw other signs pointing in that direction. Giving an abstract answer as he did, could literally be just that for the moment.
      As for Doug running for mayor, I would be VERY nervous about that. People thought Rob Ford was the pit bull. Actually Doug is more of the pit bull. I'm not hating on him for being that way, but I just don't know how well that would work with others around him.
      As I see it Doug has a lot less patience than Rob Ford does. Now that could be somehow directed to his benefit by a very skillful PR person- but that's more like a pipe dream.

I don't think Doug is going to run for mayor. In the small back of my mind, it might be a contingency plan should Ford not recover from rehab, return from rehab, what-have-you. But if Doug runs, I can almost guarantee he will lose- even though I don't really have anything against the guy.
    2. Sam posted on 05/10/2014 02:08 PM
      @Suz58 http://www.totallyrealrehab.com/
  17. Alex posted on 05/07/2014 09:04 PM
    This thing about phoning people and getting better seems a little questionable to me.
    I'm not saying he should be in a padded room with a little one way mirror in it.
    But once again it seems to not be transparent undertaking.
  18. Tangential posted on 05/09/2014 02:05 PM
    I think that Taiwanese animation company has it 100% right about the brothers Ford.

They're not fit for civil society. Instead, they belong in a virtual world such as feateared in the Grand Theft Auto series of video games. Even Doug's daughter could get her fair share of notoriety in tasteless sequences featuring Lingerie Football.

Do you support giving Toronto Police more money in their budget, so they can immediately implement the 84 recommendations made in the report on how officers deal with people in crisis?