TTC to consider banning e-cigarette "vaping"

Commissioners will vote on an amended bylaw in the fall

With e-cigarettes becoming more popular, the TTC board will be debating whether to ban the use of the products from property.

Staff are working on amending a bylaw and commissioners are expected to vote on the matter in the fall.

"We have a responsibility to protect both our employees and our customers who ride the system," TTC spokesman Brad Ross tells Newstalk 1010. "E-cigarettes or vaping have become an issue in the last couple of years so we took a look at this."

Ross says there are still too many question marks surrounding e-cigarette vapour.

"The health ramifications, if you will, are still generally unknown."

He says that with more people using e-cigarettes, organizations and governments need to deal with them and have appropriate policies in place.

If commissioners approve a ban, the new rule would be in place in 2015.

1. Stalin Grad posted on 05/07/2014 11:12 PM
    Who dreams up these bylaws ? Toronto is full of WIMPS !
  2. Jake posted on 05/08/2014 08:06 AM
    Why don't these left-wing nuts just ban breathing?
  3. Jen posted on 05/08/2014 09:15 AM
    Anyone that considers banning personal vaporizers needs to seriously think about that so many people have finally made the switch to a healthier life style not smoking and in taking so many toxins in a traditional cigarette I have thankfully been quit for a year now thanks to my personal vaporizer. I think any company that deals with e-liquid should have to under go testing on there liquid so that those who do vape can vape and know there is no unknowns in the liquid I personally don't deal with companies that don't have proper labeling but there are some out there the rules should be followed yes children should not be sold devices or liquid but instead of helping the old get of cigarettes it's the parents job to educate there children on vaping and that it's not cool just as smoking is not cool we are here and vaping as a healthier alternative to smoking and we wouldn't be here if the nasty habit of cigarettes did not get manufactured and sold
  4. 63r01d posted on 05/08/2014 11:37 AM
    If they make a law, they better base it off of a study, saying its unhealthy for people near by is ignorant unless backed with proof. I dont/never smoked cigarettes or used e-cigs but I just think that too many laws are passed and too many decisions are made out of ignorance.
  5. Lisa posted on 05/08/2014 12:24 PM
    The most recent reports on e-cig vapour that I've seen indicate that while it still may have health risks for the user, the second-hand vapour appears to be harmless. So, if we can just institute a policy in hospitals for patients to pay the bills for their own e-cig-related issues, we'll have a situation where only the person using the product faces any of the consequences. As it should be.
  6. jonnymacd posted on 08/13/2014 09:34 PM
    yup the Ontario Health Minster said it poses important questions. So instead of waiting for evidence they do the "Liberal' thing which is to try to ban it. . Important questions like "does "smoking" an e-cigarette and thus exhaling water vapour cause cancer to those who smoke it or others?" Hahaha
    Another prime example of the pathetic self righteous "Liberals" looking to ban something they know nothing about. Another abuse of power. Another one of their stupid self righteous laws which I will have to COMPLETELY ignore.
    p.s. I love my e-cigarette. It stopped me smoking. They should ban that. Because I didn't stop in a way in which they approved of. Good luck with that. I'll get the juice form the UK, the States or the black market. Same place I got my smokes. I will endeavour to buy Canadian weed though, when they legalize it. Gotta support the country somehow ...

Will preventing parking on King Street downtown for longer (from 7-10 am and 3-7 pm) get traffic and streetcars moving?