Mississauga's Mayor wants to ticket cars at drive-thru's

A customer pulls up to a Tim Horton's drive-thru window. (file photo)
Photo: CTV News

Mississauga's Mayor says when you're at the drive-thru, your idling vehicle is polluting the neighbourhood and beyond.

Hazel McCallion believes drive-thrus are contrary to her city's idling bylaw and she wants that bylaw enforced.

McCallion would rather see a ban on drive-thru's but knows that the ones that exist were approved under zoning bylaws.

At a meeting of Mississauga city council, the Mayor said she opposes drive-thru's not only because they create pollution but also because they can create traffic problems, as line-ups of cars spill onto streets and roads during busy rush hours.

Councillor George Carlson complains it is not a good idea, saying a move to enforce the idling by-law at drive-thru's would be akin to "Word War 3" with drive-thru businesses.

Coffee chain Tim Horton's says it is the company's goal to get cars in and out of their drive-thru in 90 seconds or less.

The penalty if you're caught idling for more than 3 minutes in Mississauga is a $150 fine.

1. Justin posted on 05/08/2014 06:51 AM
    Sadly, the Mayor hasn't been made apparently aware of the more wasteful pollution effect of 'turning on' motor vehicles each time they come to a halt. The more important issue is traffic safety and long line-ups that interfere with traffic on adjacent roadways. Re-designing the entrance and exit portions of Drive-thru's at the establishment's expense should solve the issue for most locations. Also, the tax revenue situation might very well be negatively affected. And...what about the community wellness feature of the new charitable phenomena of 'paying forward'?
  2. Dane posted on 05/08/2014 07:41 AM
    Use of an apostrophe in the article title is incorrect.
    1. Angry Bill posted on 05/08/2014 10:16 AM
      @Dane The first one is correct. The second one isn't. But then, I don't spell "through" as "thru", either. :P I don't fight these battles, there's no winning.
  3. Cara posted on 05/08/2014 07:55 AM
    Better still, ticket the business with the drive through for not moving the cars along fast enough. I'm kidding of course but this proves she's past her own pull date.
  4. Karl Burgin posted on 05/08/2014 10:11 AM
    To Mayor Hazel McCallion, the most revered, well-known and longest mayor ever, I honestly mean no disrespect here, but:
    Huh? Really?!?!? I cannot begin to list on how many levels how obtuse that idea is...
    1. Angry Bill posted on 05/08/2014 10:20 AM
      @Karl Burgin I disagree with that assessment. She would only be obtuse if she ordered her ticket givers to go out and ticket people idling in drive throughs. She's not doing that, is she? Instead, she's raising the entirely valid point that a lot of these drive throughs contravene the existing idling bylaw. A bylaw that rarely gets enforced in any case, by anyone.

Her point is she doesn't think drive throughs are a bad idea, and she wants people to have that discussion. I agree with her, I don't like drive throughs either. I don't use them. I park and go inside.
    2. Angry Bill posted on 05/08/2014 10:21 AM
      @Angry Bill Correction... "she doesn't think drive throughs are a GOOD idea..."

I need to learn to proof read first.
    3. Karl Burgin posted on 05/08/2014 10:29 AM
      @Angry Bill Except for the fact that I heard she had wanted to ban them outright, but wasn't nearly going to get anywhere with that idea- the thought of ticketing she's at least able to get through.

I see drive-thrus as useful- especially when you have kids that you don't want to unbuckle, carry in, and buckle again. That is a work-out in itself.

I do ultimately understand the point as to where she is coming from. And I honestly don't know what the answer is in this regard. But I guess, if her goal was to get people to talk about it/think about this situation overall- McCallion did a good job accomplishing that. Of which I find no fault there.
    4. Angry Bill posted on 05/08/2014 12:59 PM
      @Karl Burgin And I admit I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt here by believing that was her intention.
  5. alex posted on 05/08/2014 11:14 AM
    that's it
    she needs to retire and stop driving
  6. John posted on 05/08/2014 11:30 AM
    This issue will become a moot point when the majority of vehicles are equipped with 'start/stop' technology. Most European vehicles have this feature and there are some now sold in Canada.
    The vehicle shuts off if stopped for more than 10 seconds and restarts automatically when the brake is released.
    Automotive experts say that this technology should be very common here within the next 5 years.
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 05/08/2014 01:08 PM
      @John That is true, and it would be nice if they started incorporating into most cars now.
      I've heard its in a few cars now. And I think its in maybe a couple of KIA models- although I'm not 100% sure.
  7. don was right posted on 05/08/2014 11:58 AM
    is there a bylaw against old peopel who cant see over the steering whell ( or even young ones at that) driving in Mississauga at all? there shoudl be. Hazel can give herself a ticket
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 05/08/2014 01:10 PM
      @don was right Yeah, I'm not going there with that one. If you told her that, she might literally kick your ass...lol. She's actually still quite alert and active. I still like her though ;p
  8. Angry Bill posted on 05/08/2014 01:02 PM
    I find it really hard to be on the bad side of someone who goes to work after being hit by a bus!

Check out Rick Mercer checking out Hazel:

9. Robert posted on 05/08/2014 03:07 PM
    I do believe that it would be an easy ticket to fight. We do not "Idle" in Drive through line ups. In order to Idle, you must not be in motion for 3 minutes. I believe that you will find that you need to move forward every 30secs or so. Start and stop the clock does not constitute Idling for 3mins.
  10. Steve posted on 05/12/2014 04:56 PM
    This is something that will make us ( I mean the new century , new era civilization) Better than the next. We will be looked upon as the pro creators. Instead of the mass contributors. THis should have been a law ages ago. Now we know our air is not guaranteed and every measure should be taken. People are spending 5-7 mins if not longer waiting for there precious mcdonalds. Turn off the vehicle and use your damn legs for once. Its usually mothers or obese people in car lineups. Stop polluting, hand out the damn fines. Its the same with Alcohol in bars, tell the cops to hang out next to a bar in the parking lot and hand out drunk driving tickets. So easy, yet they don't do it. Nature gave you life, so the least you can do is give back–

Stop cutting forests and cut out drive thrus = cleaner air

As the body of Cpl Nathan Cirillo headed home, did you make your way to the Highway of Heroes?