Officials with Brampton Fire say workers at an industrial gas distribution centre were drawing propane from an 18,000 gallon storage tank on Wednesday night when something went wrong and a fire started.
Assistant District Chief Gary Jarrett says employees of Air Liquide, at Steeles Avenue West and Dixie Road, were filling smaller canisters which are typically loaded onto trucks for delivery to the company's customers.
The flames caused several propane canisters to explode.
That prompted a rush for emergency crews to pour water on the large, 18,000 US gallon propane storage tank to keep it cool enough that it would not explode, too.
Air Liquide also provides gases like hydrogen and oxygen for industrial and medical use.
One male employee suffered non-life threatening burns to his legs and was taken to hospital.
Peel police Cst. Fiona Thivierge says CN Rail tracks in the area were closed due to the small explosions and flying material.
Peel police said residents of the area were not at risk and as of 1:30 a.m. roads were re-opened in the area.
There's no word on how the fire began, but police will be investigating whether there was criminal intent.
Authorities from several government agencies are investigating