Toronto Police have arrested a brother and sister in connection with a human trafficking and juvenile prostitution investigation.
An investigation began on April 8th after a 16-year-old girl was approached and recruited into prostitution. Police say the girl was brought to Toronto from another city and was shuttled around from hotel to hotel to engage in prostitution. Police say the young girl was held for eight months, and was beaten when she attempted to leave the pair.
20-year-old Tyron Smith and 23-year-old Lamone Smith, both of Toronto have been arrested and are facing numerous charges.
Investigators believe there may be more victims out there and are asking anyone with information to call Toronto Police.
Tyrone Smith, 20, of Toronto, was charged with:
1) Gang Sexual Assault
2) Use Firearm during the Commission of an Indictable Offence
3) Assault with a Weapon
4) Uttering Death Threats
5) Forcible Confinement
7) Trafficking in Persons Under 18 years of age
8) Receive Material Benefit Resulting from the Trafficking of Persons
9) Procuring a Person to become a Prostitute
10) Exercise Control
11) Living on the Avails of Prostitution Under 18 years of age
12) Luring a Child Under 18
Lamone Smith, 23, of Toronto, was charged with:
1) Trafficking in Persons Under 18 years of age
2) Receive Material Benefit Resulting from the Trafficking of Persons
3) Procuring a Person to become a Prostitute
4) Exercise Control
5) Living on the Avails of Prostitution Under 18 years of age
6) Luring a Child Under 18
They appeared in court at Old City Hall on Friday, May 9, 2014, room 101.