Oshawa woman charged in alleged hit-and-run

Driver turns herself in after pleas from family

28-year old Jay McGinn was seriously hurt after being hit by a car early Saturday morning.
Photo: CTV News

A 31-year-old Oshawa woman has been charged in connection with a hit and run Saturday that left one man in hospital with life-threatening injuries.

Police say 28-year-old Jay McGinn was waiting to enter a taxi that was unloading passengers on Dundas Street at Augusta Avenue at around 2:30 a.m. Saturday when he was hit by a westbound vehicle that fled the scene.

Friends say the man was out celebrating his girlfriend's birthday when he was struck by the car.

McGinn's family spoke out on Sunday afternoon in an effort to convince the driver who hit their son to come forward.

“I don’t know how anybody could live with causing so much damage to another human… without facing the consequences,” McGinn's mother Lisa Falls told CP24.

When asked about her son’s condition, Falls called the situation “grim.”

“He has severe, severe head trauma,” she said.

"It is so difficult to see such a vibrant human being in the state that Jay is in now."

The victim's sister Molly, who flew in from Moncton to be by her brother's bedside at St. Michael's Hospital on Sunday, described McGinn as a “wonderful man” with a “really big heart.”

Nigel Dunn, who claims to have witnessed the incident early Saturday morning, said the victim was thrown about 40 feet in the air after he was struck by a female driver.

"She noticed us and she continued onto the lights there. As she approached the lights, it turned into a red light. She stopped, waited for the light to turn green and then continued on," he said.

A four-door 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT was allegedly involved in the incident.

Police say the arrest was made after tips came in from members of the public who noticed the damaged car.

Karen Fyfe, 31, has been arrested and charged with failure to stop causing bodily harm.

The Oshawa woman is expected to appear in court at Old City Hall on Monday at 10 a.m.

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. Angry Bill posted on 05/12/2014 11:29 AM
    The headline here says she turned herself in after pleas from the family.. but in the article, it says, "Police say the arrest was made after tips came in from members of the public who noticed the damaged car." Did she turn herself in or not?

    Personally, I don't think she would have.. The type of person who weaves all over the road, hits someone knocking them 40 feet, then continues to drive off isn't the type of person who in any way, shape or form accepts personal responsibility for anything. I blame bad parenting for creating kids with bad morals and bad character.
showing all comments

Sign Up For Breaking News Alerts

Becoming a member only takes 60 seconds! Members get access to exclusive information and products that non-members do not, including concert ticket presales, trips, advance notice on upcoming entertainment events, movie screening passes, music giveaways and more!

Login with Facebook

Stay connected 24/7! Receive breaking news and programming alerts right to your inbox. CLICK HERE to sign-up.

Today's Poll

Do you think excessive force was used by TTC special constables in the videos making the rounds today?

Voting is restricted to one vote every 24 hour(s) VoteResults

Top Stories