Mayor Rob Ford spotted in cottage country

Ford spotted in the parking lot of a strip mall on Friday afternoon

Ford in Bracebridge
Photo: Carmen Ribeiro

Mayor Rob has been spotted in Bracebridge.

The Bracebridge Examiner reports the Mayor was spotted in the parking lot of a strip mall in the town on the Friday afternoon.

Witnesses claim Ford was shaking hands and posing for pictures and even told one person 'rehab is going great'.

One woman who saw Ford in a bank in the plaza tells Newstalk 1010 Ford was in a suit when she saw him in line.

"We shook his hand, his was very pleasant and very polite," says the woman who asked not to be identified. "He looked healthy and he seemed to be in a good mood."

The witness tells Newstalk 1010 Ford was with a driver and a woman in the backseat of a vehicle.

A reporter from the Bracebridge Examiner tells Newstalk 1010 that witnesses told her that Ford appeared "much less sweaty. He looked pretty good."

It was confirmed last week that the Mayor was in a rehab facility, but nothing was said as to where.

Newstalk 1010 addiction expert Mark Elliot and the host of People Helping People tells the Jim Richard Showgram that Ford would be allowed time out of any facility and spending time with family is an important part of recovery.

"When someone's in rehab, they're not in jail."

The Ford family owns a cottage between Huntsville and Bracebridge and there is also a rehab facility in the town, called Addiction Outreach Muskoka Parry Sound.

1. jim posted on 05/16/2014 03:26 PM
    There is a Santa Claus school up there. Maybe he is just in training for his next job. But would you let your little one sit on Robbie's knee?
  2. Ken posted on 05/16/2014 03:37 PM
    Never heard of a rehab that lets addicts wander the streets before their rehab is complete.
    Is this just a publicity stunt, or was he out for a score?
    1. Suz58 posted on 05/16/2014 03:54 PM
      @Ken From what I have seen there are two facilities up there. There is an outpatient basis at both I believe.
      When he first went in, I wished him well. Ya know what? He has made a mockery of every person that wished him well and really thought he was getting help. Doug was making people feel they were invading poor Robby's privacy. Yup, another publicity stunt. I will guarantee, he will come back saying he has lost at least five pounds.
      Looks like he is standing in front of BMO. Is the liquor store in the same mall?
    2. Mark7 posted on 05/16/2014 03:59 PM
      @Suz58 Yep, both at Wellington and 118. Good Catch.
    3. bob posted on 05/16/2014 04:04 PM
      @Suz58 it's Bracebridge. how far can a liquor store be?
    4. Doug Ford posted on 05/16/2014 04:08 PM
      @Suz58 Folks, the guessing game must stop, it's not doing Rob any good having the press now staking out our cottage on our long weekend. Also, feeding the black flies just spoils them. Rob hates those black flies because hey'r Black, so it doesn't help.

Let's end I now...Rob is in rehab, real rehab as an in-patient for the hospital for the criminally insane in Gravenhurst...he sneaked out to Bracebridge to get some Prince Igor but I got a call from the press so we went up and got him back. It won't happen again. You'll notice that he's wearing the same suit that he wearing when he flew to Chicago, so you know I'm telling the truth.

Now leave us the f*ck alone.

God Bless Toronto

FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS

Thank You.
    5. Alex posted on 05/16/2014 05:35 PM
      @bob How available is crack cocaine on the streets of Bracebridge?
    6. Jake posted on 05/16/2014 06:28 PM
      @Ken Ken, you sound like an authority on drug rehab, How many times have you gone through the process? Have you straightened your life out, way to go.
    7. Suz58 posted on 05/17/2014 07:14 AM
      @Alex It would probably be just as available as in the city. After all, many that have cottages are owned by people from the city.
  3. Guy Smiley posted on 05/16/2014 03:37 PM
    Just can't leave the guy alone can you? 30 days isn't that long, he'll be back and right ready for torment once again.
  4. Suz58 posted on 05/16/2014 03:40 PM
    You are right Jim, Santa's Village is there.

So much for the theory that he is taking all this seriously! He never admitted he really had a problem in the first place. He was forced into hiding due to the knowledge of new audio or videos surfacing. If he cannot commit more than 16 days to rehab, he owes the people of Toronto an explanation.
    The withdrawal symptoms alone would take close to that amount of time.

You cannot help anyone that does not want to help themselves!
    1. Mark7 posted on 05/16/2014 03:55 PM
      @Suz58 Rob and Doug had a real problem when The Globe was about to publish those last photos of Rob in his sister's basement with her pipe. They had only 10 hours before distribution so they hired a plane out of Buttonville and flew Rob to Chicago...he tried to sneak out at 6:30 AM but the press was already waiting at his house.

The plan was to hide him in the Deco branch plant in Chicago, then New Jersey but U.S. immigration wouldn't let him off the plane. They had to fly back to Gravenhurst Airport and get him to the cottage. Then the games began...rehab, undisclosed location, doctors, they just couldn't give up.

So now everyone knows that they've been lied to...but do they care? The Fords have played Toronto for the idiots we are, so who really cares anymore? Ford Nation are like the Swamp People on the TV...there's are reason why Rob loves his honey BooBoo.
    2. arthur posted on 05/16/2014 04:07 PM
      @Mark7 i've never been to rehab. yet!
      but as reported in the news he was seen wearing a suit.
      i don't think a suit in rehab is required unless they have saturday night rehab dances.
      so i agree with your points
    3. Suz58 posted on 05/16/2014 05:37 PM
      @Mark7 Yes Mark, I hear ya!
      What is sad here and really bothers me ( I have never been to rehab, have worked with people that have) is...people that realize they have a problem, many are not going to live long with their addictions, they take it very seriously. It is an ongoing struggle to go in, work at kicking it and facing what they feel is embarrassing for them.
      What is Ford saying to these people?

My Doctor had given me morphine for basically a broken back four years ago. I have since had surgery. I did not want to be on the morphine and after six months, decided to go off it, cold turkey. Between stomach pain, sweats, cold, shaking, and many other withdrawal symptoms, I did not leave the house for two weeks. I couldn't. It was a horrible experience! I cannot believe for one minute that all is well or "healed" as some would say in Ford's world.
      I think Ford's biggest problem is withdrawal from the public and the media.
      I wished him well in the beginning but now I am not sure there is anything to wish him well in. How would this be making addicts that want help feel or for that matter people that do need help? He could have really been one to take this and make himself the positive influence in others' lives, instead is he just mocking rehabilitation?
  5. Doug Ford posted on 05/16/2014 03:47 PM
    Folks, that was not my brother in Bracebridge. Rob is in the middle of an election campaign while in rehab so DECO Labels hired the nice fat man that plays Santa Claus at Santa's Village to dress up like Rob and walk around Bracebridge, Port Carling, and Gravenhurst and have his picture taken with the long weekend visitors. The actor has a pipe and a mickey in his pocket, looks just the real thing. I warned him to stay away from The Beer Store and the LCBO, but he has a mind of his own. Tells me that's where the best voters go.

Santa's Village wants him back so we can do this for only a few days.

The family will be visiting Rob at the cottage, oops, I meant rehab, for the May 2-4 Weekend, somewhat appropriate as Rob will be back in his old shape, mom's baking his favourite brownies, Kathy's got the pipes and bags of bone, Sandro will be the punching bag, and my daughter Krista will be providing her uncles favourite munchy...honey spread. YUM! Poor Rob's been away too long and misses his little kitty.

That's all for now...it's all an act, Rob really is in rehab, trust me.

God Bless Toronto

FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS

6. Alex posted on 05/16/2014 05:33 PM
    "....Showgram that Ford would be allowed time out of any facility and spending time with family is an important part of recovery."~the above news story.

Spend time with family?
    Wasn't he just caught holding what looks like a drug pipe in his sisters basement and doesn't drug abuse run through the family?

I would suggest that real therapy would be keeping him separate from the rest of the kinfolk.
    1. Suz58 posted on 05/17/2014 07:24 AM
      @Alex I agree Alex. They seem to be the real enablers where Ford is concerned.

I still maintain that he is not taking this seriously and making a joke out of people who do take it seriously. If he were to say he was not running again, I would say fine, go about your life and really would not give a hoot about what he is doing. As long as he stay in the public eye, I think even his personal life, especially his drug use and therapy remains in the public eye. This is far from over.
  7. Jake posted on 05/16/2014 06:23 PM
    He's looking good, I wish him well.
  8. Mat Reime posted on 05/16/2014 10:09 PM
    Rob Ford? That guy is so yesterday for ordinary folks in Toronto, why bring up a fat guy who cannot control his drug and alcohol urges, pimps out his wife, and,,in total, comes family that has distinguished itself with its depravity?
    makes Kim Kardashian sound like Mother Theresa.
  9. JD posted on 05/16/2014 11:41 PM
    I am pretty sure either the following conversations happened in journalist households this afternoon:

1. Honey, I have good news for you, pack your bags, we are off to cottage country this weekend - I have to go and stalk Rob Ford.

2. You mean, you have to go and stalk Rob Ford in cottage country. You and Rob Ford just ruined our weekend.

Hackers have threatened theatres that show The Interview, which opens Dec 25. Some have pulled the new movie. Is that the right decision?