NEWS

London mayor Fontana on trial for fraud
Former Liberal MP accused of using taxpayer $ to help fund son's wedding
8 0

The mayor of London, Ontario goes on trial Monday for fraud-related charges.

Joe Fontana is accused of using taxpayer dollars to help pay for his son's wedding reception in 2005.

Fontana was a Liberal MP at the time of the alleged fraud, which police have valued at $1,700.

He has denied any wrongdoing and has refused to leave the mayor's chair while his case is before the courts.

The charges against Fontana include fraud under $5,000, uttering a forged document and breach of trust by a public official.

1. Karl Burgin posted on 05/26/2014 11:58 AM
    I guess we're more comfortable with politicians who've got their personal lives in order, but are financially irresponsible with the voter's money.
    I wonder if the media will be all over this guy's ass, or will it be brushed under the carpet. Stay tuned...
    1. Peter posted on 05/26/2014 01:18 PM
      @Karl Burgin .
      I have the same concern.
      I don't think the Toronto Star will go after Mayor Fontana, but if they do, then he is toast. The Star can toast anyone they want (good or bad guys) as they are the media.

Mayor Ford was one of the good guys they toasted.

2. Karl Burgin posted on 05/26/2014 01:30 PM
      @Peter Given that ANY sympathy whatsoever for Ford is somewhat taboo these days, I'm surprised we haven't seen the death threats for our illicit comments yet....lol
    3. Peter posted on 05/26/2014 01:38 PM
      @Karl Burgin .
      I've given up explaining my views at gatherings, as I am outnumbered and thought to be drunk.

4. Angry Bill posted on 05/26/2014 03:33 PM
      @Peter Nice of them to give you the benefit of the doubt! :P
  2. john posted on 05/26/2014 12:19 PM
    a politician in court . about bloody time . next on the list mc dumbass .
  3. Double standard posted on 05/26/2014 01:39 PM
    Run the first fiscally responsible government your city's seen in a decade? We will run your ass into the ground and destroy your privacy for the rest of your natural life.

Steal taxpayer money for your son's wedding? Meh.
    1. Peter posted on 05/26/2014 01:45 PM
      @Double standard .
      Yes I agree.
      Also, - the judge may let him off because he looks like
      Tony Curtis.

@NEWSTALK1010

DON'T MISS

SICKKIDS

2 DAYS TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE

Tune in to NEWSTALK 1010 on May 30th and 31st from noon to 6pm and you can make a difference. Click here to see how you can help

IN-DEPTH AND INTERACTIVE

MISSED THE SHOW? DON'T MISS THIS!

Aaron Waxman & Associates present the 4th annual IN-DEPTH AND INTERACTIVE -- if you missed the show, DON'T WORRY. You can check out video and pics RIGHT HERE

NEWS ALERTS

STAY CONNECTED

Sign up for out Breaking News Alerts and receive up-to-the-minute coverage of the top stories of the day

8 0

The mayor of London, Ontario goes on trial Monday for fraud-related charges.

1. Karl Burgin posted on 05/26/2014 11:58 AM
    1. Peter posted on 05/26/2014 01:18 PM
      @Karl Burgin .
      I have the same concern.

Mayor Ford was one of the good guys they toasted.

2. Karl Burgin posted on 05/26/2014 01:30 PM
    3. Peter posted on 05/26/2014 01:38 PM
      @Karl Burgin .

4. Angry Bill posted on 05/26/2014 03:33 PM
      @Peter Nice of them to give you the benefit of the doubt! :P
  2. john posted on 05/26/2014 12:19 PM
    a politician in court . about bloody time . next on the list mc dumbass .
  3. Double standard posted on 05/26/2014 01:39 PM

Steal taxpayer money for your son's wedding? Meh.
    1. Peter posted on 05/26/2014 01:45 PM