London mayor Fontana on trial for fraud
Former Liberal MP accused of using taxpayer $ to help fund son's wedding
8 0

The mayor of London, Ontario goes on trial Monday for fraud-related charges.

Joe Fontana is accused of using taxpayer dollars to help pay for his son's wedding reception in 2005.

Fontana was a Liberal MP at the time of the alleged fraud, which police have valued at $1,700.

He has denied any wrongdoing and has refused to leave the mayor's chair while his case is before the courts.

The charges against Fontana include fraud under $5,000, uttering a forged document and breach of trust by a public official.

1. Karl Burgin posted on 05/26/2014 11:58 AM
    I guess we're more comfortable with politicians who've got their personal lives in order, but are financially irresponsible with the voter's money.
    I wonder if the media will be all over this guy's ass, or will it be brushed under the carpet. Stay tuned...
    1. Peter posted on 05/26/2014 01:18 PM
      @Karl Burgin .
      I have the same concern.
      I don't think the Toronto Star will go after Mayor Fontana, but if they do, then he is toast. The Star can toast anyone they want (good or bad guys) as they are the media.

Mayor Ford was one of the good guys they toasted.

2. Karl Burgin posted on 05/26/2014 01:30 PM
      @Peter Given that ANY sympathy whatsoever for Ford is somewhat taboo these days, I'm surprised we haven't seen the death threats for our illicit comments yet....lol
    3. Peter posted on 05/26/2014 01:38 PM
      @Karl Burgin .
      I've given up explaining my views at gatherings, as I am outnumbered and thought to be drunk.

4. Angry Bill posted on 05/26/2014 03:33 PM
      @Peter Nice of them to give you the benefit of the doubt! :P
  2. john posted on 05/26/2014 12:19 PM
    a politician in court . about bloody time . next on the list mc dumbass .
  3. Double standard posted on 05/26/2014 01:39 PM
    Run the first fiscally responsible government your city's seen in a decade? We will run your ass into the ground and destroy your privacy for the rest of your natural life.

Steal taxpayer money for your son's wedding? Meh.
    1. Peter posted on 05/26/2014 01:45 PM
      @Double standard .
      Yes I agree.
      Also, - the judge may let him off because he looks like
      Tony Curtis.

@NEWSTALK1010

DON'T MISS

AIRPORT TUNNEL

THE BILLY BISHOP TORONTO CITY AIRPORT TUNNEL

PortsToronto will open a new pedestrian tunnel to Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport on July 30th, which will serve as a significant piece of infrastructure that will provide travellers with fast, convenient and reliable access to the airport

PAN AM GAMES

PAN AM GAMES TAKE OVER TORONTO

The Pan Am and Parapan Am Games take over the city until mid august. Follow the excitement with Canada's best athletes and the avoid the traffic chaos that comes with the event

ART BELL

NEW SHOW: MIDNIGHT IN THE DESERT WITH ART BELL

Art Bell has returned to NEWSTALK 1010! His new show continues to focus on discussing the paranormal, science, myths and conspiracies

NEWS ALERTS

STAY CONNECTED

Sign up for out Breaking News Alerts and receive up-to-the-minute coverage of the top stories of the day

8 0

The mayor of London, Ontario goes on trial Monday for fraud-related charges.

1. Karl Burgin posted on 05/26/2014 11:58 AM
    1. Peter posted on 05/26/2014 01:18 PM
      @Karl Burgin .
      I have the same concern.

Mayor Ford was one of the good guys they toasted.

2. Karl Burgin posted on 05/26/2014 01:30 PM
    3. Peter posted on 05/26/2014 01:38 PM
      @Karl Burgin .

4. Angry Bill posted on 05/26/2014 03:33 PM
      @Peter Nice of them to give you the benefit of the doubt! :P
  2. john posted on 05/26/2014 12:19 PM
    a politician in court . about bloody time . next on the list mc dumbass .
  3. Double standard posted on 05/26/2014 01:39 PM

Steal taxpayer money for your son's wedding? Meh.
    1. Peter posted on 05/26/2014 01:45 PM