NEWS

Justin Bieber apologizes for making racist joke on video
Footage shot when Bieber was 15
4 0

Justin Bieber is apologizing after a years-old video surfaced showing the then-teenager telling a racist joke with the N-word.

In a statement Sunday, the Canadian pop star said when he was a kid he didn't realize how certain words could hurt. He says he learned from his mistakes and apologized for them, and now is apologizing again because they have become public.

"I'm very sorry,'' Bieber said. "I take all my friendships with people of all cultures very seriously and I apologize for offending or hurting anyone with my childish and inexcusable behaviour."

The British tabloid The Sun first published the video, which is five years old. In it, a then 15-year-old Bieber tells a joke about black people that has the racial epithet as the punchline. Before he says it, someone warns him not to, but he says it anyway amid laughter.

"I thought it was ok to repeat hurtful words and jokes, but I didn't realize at the time that it wasn't funny and that in fact my actions were continuing the ignorance,'' the statement said.

"Thanks to friends and family I learned from my mistakes and grew up and apologized for those wrongs. Now that these mistakes from the past have become public I need to apologize again to all of those who I have offended."

It's the latest controversy for Bieber, who over the past couple of years has dealt with brushes with the law and other problems that have dealt a blow to his once wholesome image. The video was taken when Bieber was just emerging as a pop sensation.

In his statement, Bieber said that "ignorance has no place in our society and I hope the sharing of my faults can prevent others from making the same mistake in the future."

"I thought long and hard about what I wanted to say but telling the truth is always what's right."

He ends the statement by saying "Once again ... I'm sorry."

Bieber tweeted his full statement Sunday night.

Categories:

1. █Alex█ posted on 06/01/2014 07:39 PM
    █Well looks like the Bieber is qualified now to play a set at the next Ford Nation picknic█Didn't Rob say he was the most racist guy you'll ever meet or something close to that?█
  2. HP posted on 06/02/2014 03:45 PM
    It was better back in the day

1. HP posted on 06/02/2014 04:07 PM
      @HP C&P the whole thing

Famous_SNL_Skit_with_Chevy_Chase_and_Richard_Pryor/#.U4zTqLdOVdg
    2. Mark7 posted on 06/02/2014 04:10 PM
      @HP try this...

@NEWSTALK1010

DON'T MISS

SICKKIDS

2 DAYS TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE

Tune in to NEWSTALK 1010 on May 30th and 31st from noon to 6pm and you can make a difference. Click here to see how you can help

IN-DEPTH AND INTERACTIVE

MISSED THE SHOW? DON'T MISS THIS!

Aaron Waxman & Associates present the 4th annual IN-DEPTH AND INTERACTIVE -- if you missed the show, DON'T WORRY. You can check out video and pics RIGHT HERE

NEWS ALERTS

STAY CONNECTED

Sign up for out Breaking News Alerts and receive up-to-the-minute coverage of the top stories of the day

4 0

He ends the statement by saying "Once again ... I'm sorry."

Bieber tweeted his full statement Sunday night.

1. █Alex█ posted on 06/01/2014 07:39 PM