Father and Stepmother of Shakeil Boothe Sentenced to Life

10-year-old died after being viciously beaten

The father of a 10-year-old boy whose battered body was discovered in a suburban Toronto home has been sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 18 years.

The boy's stepmother was handed a life sentence with no chance of parole for 13 years.   Garfield Boothe and his wife Nichelle Boothe-Rowe were both convicted of second-degree murder in April by a Brampton, Ont., jury after 14 hours of deliberation.

Shakeil Boothe, who came from Jamaica to live with his father in 2009, was regularly beaten, deprived of food and chained to his bed in the months before he was found dead in his bed in 2011.

Jurors were told he died ``minutes to hours'' after a savage beating that left him with a black eye, bruised head, re-fractured rib and internal bleeding.

The guilty verdict had carried a mandatory life sentence with no possibility of parole for 10 to 25 years but the exact length of the parole prohibition was what was to be determined today.

1. Suz58 posted on 06/05/2014 11:55 AM
    I have never been a believer in the death penalty but, life in prison is too easy for these bastards!
    RIP Shakeil, the pain has ended.
    1. Jason posted on 06/05/2014 12:04 PM
      @Suz58 Doesn't it almost make you cry? He was "regularly deprived" of food and humane treatment. Can you imagine his having to go to school with such a secret he was maybe too ashamed to talk about?
    2. Suz58 posted on 06/05/2014 01:38 PM
      @Jason I cannot agree more Jason. Don't know if he had a biological mother, but I keep wondering how she is doing as well.

I went to school with a girl that was sexually abused for years by her brother in law. I was her best friend and it was not until I was married with children of my own that she told me what went on. The fear that is put into these kids is so strong it makes them extremely fearful to tell anyone.
      Did he in fact go to school? If so, why were there no inquiries made by teachers? This leads me to believe he did not. If he did, there should be more investigation why teachers did not notice anything.
      For crimes such as this, the death penalty should be brought in!
  2. Greg posted on 06/05/2014 12:18 PM
    Why does the wife always get the shorter sentence? They were both convicted of the same crime so why the difference of 5 years? I see this over and over in these cases. Let's hear from the feminists.
    1. Angry Bill posted on 06/05/2014 01:37 PM
      @Greg Karla Homolka is out now, free as a bird, And she was arguably a worse monster than Bernardo, who is still in jail. The cops messed up big time on that one.
    2. Suz58 posted on 06/05/2014 01:41 PM
      @Angry Bill Plea bargains...police will give others to do with the case lighter sentences in place of information. I have never personally understood this.

Karla and the step mother in this case should get the same sentence as the partner...as one is just as bad as the other.
  3. Judi Robertson posted on 06/05/2014 12:59 PM
    I believe these two monsters received a harsher penalty than the Grandparent's of the other children who were also abused in Toronto. That poor little guy - I have grandchildren and when I see his lovely face I just cannot understand how any person could abuse a little child. Just a little child who could not protect himself from not one - but two people who should have looked out for a loved him. Thus the Wicked Stepmother Syndrome! My hope is that he is safe in the arms of his higher power, never to be afraid, hungry, sad, lonely, helpless and hurting again. His so-called parents? May they rot in jail and may jail turn out to be some form of hell!
  4. Angry Bill posted on 06/05/2014 01:39 PM
    I shake my head whenever I read someone in Canuckistan gets "life" in prison... In this country, "life" means until you can apply for parole in 10-25 years. In this case, 13 for her and 18 for him. Yep. That's "life".

At least in the States, life means life.
  5. urban1 posted on 06/05/2014 02:24 PM
    These savages do not deserve to see the light of day ever again. Prison is far too soft of a punishment.
  6. Saaad posted on 06/05/2014 02:37 PM
    RIP Shakeil .. your soft body was viciously beaten, and no body could hear your pain..
    Current Justice system is not fair, however your pain has stopped and the pain of these criminals started and will not end, even if they escape from this world's punishment, the other world is waiting for them!!
  7. Shirley wilson posted on 06/05/2014 05:05 PM
    That barbarian should never be set free. As far as the evil stepmother, she 's as guilty so same punishment. You take the life of a child then the law should make sure they never bring another baby into this world. How come his mother never contacted her son to see how he was doing?? His teachers never asked why the child appeared to be malnourished, about the bruises? Too many adults failed him. Poor little guy!

What do you do with the money you save as gas prices fall?