A nerve-wracking manhunt came to an end early Friday morning after police arrested the suspect wanted in one of the worst mass shootings in the RCMP's history that left three Mounties dead and two others injured in Moncton, N.B.
Paul Greene, a spokesman with the RCMP, said Justin Bourque was arrested at around 12:10 a.m. bringing to a close a harrowing search that lasted nearly 30 hours.
WATCH eyewitness video of suspect being arrested:
Bourque, 24, was wanted after the shooting Wednesday evening in the northwest area of the city. Police including tactical officers began their manhunt Wednesday at around 7:30 p.m. when they responded to a call about a man walking along a road with what was believed to be a gun. After the call, shots were fired and officers called for backup. The RCMP said police officers from across the country were brought in to help arrest the suspect.
Bourque had evaded capture since the shootings, and at one point he was seen Thursday morning but officers were unable to arrest him after he went into a wooded area, the RCMP said.
Residents in the area where police searched were urged to stay inside their homes and lock their doors. But shortly after Bourque's arrest, people were allowed outside their homes and roads that had been blockaded were reopened, Greene said.
This woman live-tweeted the suspect's arrest:
The identities of the officers who were shot have not been released by police. But late Thursday, the National Post identified one of the officers fatally shot as Const. Dave Ross, a police services dog handler with the RCMP. The newspaper quoted the sister-in-law of the man's wife as saying he had a young son, with another child expected in September.
The shootings in Moncton evoked memories of an RCMP tragedy in Mayerthorpe, Alta., nine years ago when Constables Anthony Fitzgerald Orion Gordon, Lionide (Leo) Nicholas Johnston, Brock Warren Myrol and Peter Christopher Schiemann were shot and killed.