News

 

Donald Sterling pulls support from deal to sell Clippers

The team owner says he will pursue his $1-billion federal lawsuit against the NBA

Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling has pulled his support from a deal to sell the team to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and will pursue his $1 billion federal lawsuit against the NBA, his attorney said Monday.

``We have been instructed to prosecute the lawsuit,'' said attorney Maxwell Blecher. He said co-owner Donald Sterling would not be signing off on the deal to sell.

The $2 billion sale was negotiated by his wife Shelly Sterling after Donald Sterling's racist remarks to a girlfriend were publicized and the NBA moved to oust him as owner.

The lawsuit alleges the league violated his constitutional rights by relying on information from an ``illegal'' recording that publicized racist remarks he made to a girlfriend. It also said the league committed a breach of contract by fining Sterling $2.5 million and that it violated antitrust laws by trying to force a sale.

Donald Sterling agreed to ink the deal and drop the suit last week assuming ``all their differences had been resolved,'' his attorneys said. But he decided to not sign the papers after learning the NBA won't revoke its lifetime ban and fine.

Shelly Sterling utilized her authority as sole trustee of The Sterling Family Trust, which owns the Clippers, to take bids for the team and ultimately negotiate a deal with Ballmer. The deal would have record-breaking if approved by the NBA's owners.

Donald Sterling's comments to V. Stiviano included telling her to not bring black people to Clippers games, specifically mentioning Hall of Famer Magic Johnson. They resulted in a storm of outrage from the public and players and even prompted President Barack Obama to comment on what he called Sterling's ``incredibly offensive racist statements.''

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver ultimately decided to ban Donald Sterling for life, fine him millions, and began efforts to force Sterling to sell the team. Those efforts ended with Shelly Sterling's deal with Ballmer.

If this deal ultimately goes through, its terms allow Shelly Sterling to remain close to the organization by allowing for up to 10 per cent of the team (or $200 million) to be spun off into a charitable foundation that she would essentially run.

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. john posted on 06/10/2014 10:38 AM
    good i hope he wins .

    there is no excuse for what happened ! however privacy is a big thing in the USA and very important to them . this chick that taped the conversation should be charged and put in jail with a massive fine . women like her are the reason why i am single u cant trust them i never do that .
    1. dama posted on 06/10/2014 02:23 PM
      @john You are not going to find that woman like her, isn't it? unless you are a billionaire..like Donald Sterling or Donald Trump..

      So dont stay single,, there are a lot of nice decent, honest, down to earth womEn out there ....
    2. john posted on 06/11/2014 10:54 AM
      @dama hope u are right about that .

      the women in my town are not even worth my time . yea they are that bad .
  2. Alex posted on 06/10/2014 02:25 PM
    This man Donald Sterling, is a disgrace to professional sport. His views should not be acceptable to any decent person.
showing all comments

Your GTA

Sign Up For Breaking News Alerts

Becoming a member only takes 60 seconds! Members get access to exclusive information and products that non-members do not, including concert ticket presales, trips, advance notice on upcoming entertainment events, movie screening passes, music giveaways and more!

Login with Facebook

Stay connected 24/7! Receive breaking news and programming alerts right to your inbox. CLICK HERE to sign-up.

Today's Poll

Will preventing parking on King Street downtown for longer (from 7-10 am and 3-7 pm) get traffic and streetcars moving?

Voting is restricted to one vote every 24 hour(s) VoteResults

Top Stories

Facebook

Twitter