Liberals "Wynne" Majority

Kathleen Wynne and the Ontario Liberals will return to Queen's Park with a majority government

Kathleen Wynne powered Ontario's minority Liberals past a legacy of scandal Thursday, staving off aggressive assaults from the Progressive Conservatives and New Democrats for an unexpected majority win and a fourth straight mandate.

Despite a hard-fought campaign rife with accusations of corruption and incompetence, jaundiced voters gave Wynne's government a fresh chance, making her the province's first elected female premier. And in an election that was supposed to be Tim Hudak's to lose, they delivered a stinging rebuke to the Conservatives, robbing the party of 10 seats and forcing its leader to step down in defeat.

Defying almost all predictions, Wynne earned a convincing win both in the popular vote and the number of seats, paving the way for her party to govern on their own for the first time in three years _ and she did it by moving to the left as her opponents moved in the opposite direction.

The ballot-counting began amid palpable uncertainty about whether the snap election, called more than a month ago, would change anything. Even the premier herself appeared taken aback at the magnitude of her win.

``Whoa! We did it!'' a beaming, gleeful Wynne told cheering supporters in Toronto. ``You have put your trust in us and we will not let you down.''

Wynne said she would ask the lieutenant-governor to reconvene the legislature within 20 days to reintroduce the very same Liberal budget that triggered the campaign when the NDP refused to support it.

Within an hour of the result becoming clear, Hudak (whose austerity platform of smaller government and public-sector job cuts ran smack into a voter brick wall) said he'd resign as leader as soon as a successor is chosen.

``We did not receive the results that we wanted,'' Hudak told dejected supporters at his headquarters in Grimsby, Ont. ``(But) nobody should take this result as an endorsement of the status quo.'' Hudak said he would stay on as a member of the legislature and continue to represent his Niagara-area riding.

The Liberals easily beat the Tories in the popular vote amid a solid rejection of Hudak's pledge to slash 100,000 public-sector jobs as part of a shock deficit-tackling therapy.

They won 59 seats, Hudak's Conservatives took 27 and the New Democrats 21. At dissolution, the Liberals held 48 seats in the 107-seat legislature, the Tories 37 and the NDP 21, with one seat vacant.

At Liberal headquarters in Toronto, stony-faced tension gradually gave way to excitement and delight as it became clear that Wynne had taken the night. A burst of applause erupted when Hudak announced his resignation.

Speaking to a sparse crowd of about 200 supporters in Hamilton, Andrea Horwath (widely pilloried for her lurch to the right and seemingly nebulous campaign) said she would stay on to lead her third-place party.

``New Democrats are fighters and we're going to keep fighting for the things that matter most for families,'' said Horwath, who seemed close to tears.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper congratulated Wynne, saying he looked forward to working with her.

Millions of voters had spent Thursday casting judgment on the scandal-plagued minority Liberal government as Wynne, who became party leader 16 months ago, sought her first mandate.

Wynne spent much of the campaign staving off attacks related to decisions made by her predecessor Dalton McGuinty, which included the cancellation of two gas plants at an estimated cost to the public of $1.1 billion.

Federal Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau congratulated Wynne on the breakthrough that puts her back in the premier's chair, this time with the blessing of voters, not just her party.

More than 9.2 million people were eligible to cast ballots but despite predictions of a low turnout, more than 50 per cent voted this time.

showing 25 comments · show all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. Thor posted on 06/12/2014 10:14 PM
    Way to blow it Tim!
  2. Tanya posted on 06/12/2014 10:21 PM
    Ms. Wynne, I understand that you want (not need) all my money. For what.. you aren't required to say....you just get to take it and spend it without conscious.
    We're leaving Ontario within the next year....Like they say on those ING commercials
    "Save Your Money,"

We've just recently retired and cannot afford to live in Ontario anymore.
    1. Sonny posted on 06/13/2014 11:41 AM
      @Tanya You might like Quebec OR the Atlantic Provinces that Ontario sudsidizes through Equalization payments to the tune of several Billion$
  3. Fact Provider posted on 06/12/2014 10:28 PM
    Well ... well ... well ...
    10 days ago I predicted a Liberal majority of between 1 and 3 seats.
    As of 10:25 pm on election night the count was ...

Wait for it ......

Wait for it ..............

Oh, that's right ... a Liberal majority of ...

Are you still waiting ? .....

That's right .................

3 seats.

To all you disappointed Conservative voters may I say "Get a PROGRESSIVE Conservative leader and get back to being PROGRESSIVE Conservatives".
  4. Tony posted on 06/12/2014 10:29 PM
    The sheeple have spoken in the Province of Toronto. I guess I should shut down my small business and get a Government Jobs.
  5. Sammy from Scarborough posted on 06/12/2014 10:31 PM
    The second best part of the evening was the majority win for the Liberals.

The best part was watching Adrienne and Mark's heads exploding simultaneously.
  6. Roman posted on 06/12/2014 10:33 PM
    I am so happy that all of you in 1010-news was wrong supporting Tim Hudak.
    You have your lessons .. listen to people of Ontario!

BTW.
    I stop listen 1010 month ago.
    1. Walter posted on 06/12/2014 10:43 PM
      @Roman "wrong to support Hudak" means that Hudak would have done a worse job than Wynne. Based on the last 2 elections, hindsight tells us that we were very poorly served in choosing the Liberals.
      1010 commentators were supporting the PC's because they thought they were best for Ontario, not because they thought they would win.
    2. KatM posted on 06/13/2014 04:40 PM
      @Roman So if you don't care enough to listen to the radio why are you still soo interested in engaging yourself with anything related to this station?! Also maybe you should respect the intellect and opinions that this radio offers.

If you support Liberals I feel sorry for you - anyone who can be brainwashed with soo many scandals in 11 years deserves sympathy not anger...
  7. Angry Bill posted on 06/12/2014 10:35 PM
    Ok, going to my plan B, now.

Now that the Wynne fiberals have a majority, guess what? You gotta accept their budget now.

I'm going to sit here and watch you fiberal voters choke on it, now.

Enjoy your increased taxes, fees, hydro hikes, more scandals, fewer businesses, fewer jobs and even more increased public sector bloat. Because that's exactly what you voted for.

Way to go. Be proud.
    1. r2d2 posted on 06/12/2014 10:57 PM
      @Angry Bill the voter has voted by a very long margin for something different than what you just stated. maybe time to give it a rest. only a few are listening
    2. eni posted on 06/13/2014 08:27 AM
      @Angry Bill Just take a 4 year break, move if you'd like.
  8. Sophie posted on 06/12/2014 10:43 PM
    Do you feel the love??? Do you feel the money rushing out of your bank account at speeds that even a Porsche couldn't match?

Take me , take me...............NOW!

Smoke that cigarette.........nah, I won't even go there.

Some people are in such euphoria they don't know they've been screwed.
  9. Dave posted on 06/12/2014 11:09 PM
    Well, I guess it doesn't matter how corrupt our government is our how much of our money they waste, we might as well just give the Liberals a dictatorship. Please be kind to me overlords, even though I didn't vote for you.
  10. Alex posted on 06/12/2014 11:35 PM
    This was an election of the not very good, the bad, and the ugly.
    At least the worst outcome did not happen.
    1. Tanya posted on 06/12/2014 11:45 PM
      @Alex "The worst outcome did not happen."

You're right, that big lightening storm didn't strike and there were no torrential rain storms anywhere. No one was hurt and there was no property damage.

As for the election....that's a different story.
  11. Greg posted on 06/13/2014 02:46 AM
    Can anyone who voted Liberal please give me an honest reason why they did so, other than "Tim Hudak is a right wing Teabagger"? Which of their policies are you so in favour of? Is it increasing the deficit? Doubling down on failing projects like wind turbines and all day kindergarten? Implementing another payroll deduction in the form of a pension plan that they will inevitably screw up? Or do you just love Deb Matthews mismanaging the health file at every level? Please enlighten me. Or is it that you're so blinded by your ideology that you bought in to all the scare-mongering about Hudak?
    1. john posted on 06/13/2014 10:23 AM
      @Greg dont count on the answer mate . there are brain dead after all .
    2. GregH_5652 posted on 06/14/2014 07:47 AM
      @Greg Well, just as I thought. Not a single word from Liberal voters on which policies of the party they support. Which leads me to believe they based their vote solely on their dislike of Hudak. Great plan.
      I'm really very worried about the future of this province. Not trying to be hyperbolic or partisan but I think we've given the drunks the keys to the liquor cabinet. With a majority they'll be able to push through any half-baked plan they want and we'll have to take it.
      My prediction is that in 4 years this province will be so entirely screwed up, voter will be flocking to the PC's in droves. I just hope it won't be too late.
  12. Mark posted on 06/13/2014 05:13 AM

Caledonia
    Power Plant
    Orange
    Tim Horton’s
    OPG
    Ontario Northland

Tea party Tim blew it once again! I glad he resigned as leader! Take your American Republican hard right consultants back over the border! As a progressive conservative, I could not support this guy! I voted for a fringe party because I could not support any of the three parties.

Andrea see what happens when you support corrupt Liberano governments! If you pulled the plug last year instead of going for car insurance reductions which was very odd during major scandals. You could have won!
  14. Fact Provider posted on 06/13/2014 07:03 AM
    The perfect trifecta !!!

Jerry Agar's head exploded at 6:50 this morning while being verbally tuned up by John Moore. Last night Adrienne Batra and Mark Towhey were first off the mark with simultaneous head explosions at the announcement of the Wynne majority.
  15. Karl Burgin posted on 06/13/2014 07:36 AM
    Why doesn't the world listen to me? I know I'm always right. Even Brampton, my home town, ignored me. Brown bastards voted Liberal again, even with me telling them they're wrong. Is my opinion not relevant? Doesn't anyone care about what I think? Am I as stupid as my friends and family tell me I am?

I guess so.

However, they'll listen to me and vote for Rob Ford as I tell everyone to do. Although I don't live, pay taxes, and vote in Toronto, Rob For must be reelected. Why? Because I say so and I'm always right.

Anyway, back to posting and surfing on my company's time, because I'm too good for my job.

FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS
    1. john posted on 06/13/2014 10:26 AM
      @Karl Burgin i hear u mate . i even told my dad this province will go bankrupt and he did not beleave me oh well i guess people will have to learn the had way .
  16. Carly posted on 06/13/2014 08:18 AM
    Look at the bright side. Today forward will be just like yesterday and before.

Bend Over!
    1. Sonny posted on 06/13/2014 11:45 AM
      @Carly The SUN rose today and the Sun printed today as did the Globe & the Post that endorsed Hudak. You get services for the taxes you pay...
  17. Eni posted on 06/13/2014 08:25 AM
    If Jerry needs some help with packing I'll gladly help. I'll even escort him out of the province in case he changes his mind.
    1. Sonny posted on 06/13/2014 11:46 AM
      @Eni He should move to a Republican $tate in the $outh
  18. Starchild posted on 06/13/2014 09:03 AM
    I guess ontarians proved again how short sighted and stupid they are. This election just as any other, is nothing but a huge scam and fraud. Ontario has a massive public employment and it is impossible to have a fair election. Government employees will not vote other than liberants. They are well overpaid and and they will not give up their gravy train jobs. Also, I have a strong feeling that the PC had deal with liberals. Tim Hudak is a complete idiot and I got hard time to believe that he wasn't involve in this behind the scene deals. Soon as he mentioned that they will cut 100 000 jobs in public sector, I knew the liberants will win. Not mentioned the other comments he made about unions and such. We all know that ontario will go for shit, but whatever. I guess nothing left but sell everything and move to a different country before they implement a tax for those who wants to leave the province. Ontario government is clearly a hard core communist dictatorship and soon or later will fall. God bless you all, your future is doomed if you stay in this province built on massive corruption. I wish to this devilworshiping maffia a ten times more pain and suffer they caused in past and what they causing for future generation. I hope your kids will eat what you cooked with large spoon.
    1. eni posted on 06/13/2014 09:09 AM
  19. Dave Smith posted on 06/13/2014 09:12 AM
    I am disheartened by the apathy of the Ontario citizens on our political process, electional process, and ultimately how we will be governed.
    I believe that if each citizen exercise their right to vote, the outcome would be different. Instead, we will have 4 more years with a bunch of crooks, who will lie, cheat, spend your money and mortgage your children's future to stay in good standing with the public unions for the next election.
    Wake up people!! You have a say in this on the next election. Don't let a few people with their agenda set the future for you and your children.
    1. eni posted on 06/13/2014 12:12 PM
      @Dave Smith How can you say that if everyone voted the outcome would be different? Its very clear that the GTA & Ottawa are Liberal, Hamilton and northern Ontario NDP and the conservatives just have the rest. Its been like this in every election.
  20. PB posted on 06/13/2014 09:23 AM
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

Apparently, most voters in Ontario are insane! Hold on to your wallets Ontario, its going to get ugly!
  21. Beth posted on 06/13/2014 09:35 AM
    Yay! I get to lose 1.9% each pay to the Liberals who think Ontarians are too stupid to manage their own retirement funds. But guess what, the teachers union, nurses, and police with their nice fat pensions (paid for by the public purse) they get to keep their nice fat pay cheques. Nice. Way to go! Let's give the Libeals more money to mismanage and prey it's still there when I retire! Greedy, self serving unions.
    1. justsaying posted on 06/13/2014 09:46 AM
      @Beth maybe if you had anyone negotiating for you - and you were part of the largest block of employees in the province , you could negotiate a better wage for yourself, that you are getting at Tim Horton's.

Don't blame the union, blame yourself for undervaluing your service and worth. Maybe if you joined one, you might be able to speak with a bigger voice and your employers would pay attention.

If you work for yourself and are complaining that you don't have a union - Dude - we all make our choices. Don't complain to me. And no, I do not work in a Union job, but appreciate the benefits and limitation that comes with that work. Hard workers all.
  22. SojBee posted on 06/13/2014 09:41 AM
    4 more years of wastes, lies, cover ups and oh yeah...raise our taxes under the guise of an Ontario CPP program!! That's $900 a year out of your pocket if you earn $45K/year. For a two income family earning $100K/year, that's $2,000 off your pay cheque! Like we can't plan for our retirement ourselves and we need Wynne to do that for us! I would like the ability/freedom to opt out and invest the amount myself! We still have not forgotten the $600/year health care premium thanks to McGuinty - like we were not paying for that in taxes prior to that point!

Ontario, you get what you vote for, and watch her subtly do the cuts to public service Hudak had mentioned over her tenor - there is no other way for her to balance the budget and keep to all her huge spending promises! (Remember what happened with McGuinty and private/religious schools funding Tory had campaigned and lost the election on, only to have McGuinty do just that)!
    1. Ted posted on 06/13/2014 11:02 AM
      @SojBee They will just steal this money to pay the unions. We will never see a dime.
  23. justsaying posted on 06/13/2014 09:41 AM
    Oh you old angry group of pissed off would be tea-party supporters - You just got your assed kicked. Don't blame Hudak. Blame you own narrow-minded non-civic outlook, in supporting a candidate so far on the right (like you) the electorate retreated in Horror - including how many seats the Conservatives lost to the Liberals?

It's time to realized that your kind of thinking is gratefully, NOT what the province agrees with. Maybe its time you wake up. Agreed with a previous comment - a Progressive nor REGRESSIVE party might get more support. But don't blame Hudak. That narrow minded thinking will never win you any elections.
    1. SojBee posted on 06/13/2014 09:59 AM
      @justsaying Tea party?!! Nonsense!
    2. Dave Smith posted on 06/13/2014 10:32 AM
      @justsaying Most of us do not care what is the stripe of the political party. As long as they govern and use the taxpayer's money prudently, most of us will vote for them. So please do not bring the association of a party into play.
      I did not vote for the Liberals, because they have proven time and again, they do not know how to govern and waste taxpayer's money with no oversight and accountability, and it is our fault on that last part by being apathetic on election day.
  24. arthur posted on 06/13/2014 10:15 AM
    jeepers that's what you call a good old fashioned spanking last night.
    just shows that talk radio is really mostly conservative blab and the comment boards are mostly conservative trolls and not many are paying any attention to it
    1. Sonny posted on 06/13/2014 11:49 AM
      @arthur It seems the EKOS got it polled properly versus the Ipsos polls that Newstalk/CTV/CP24 got John Wright to shill and emphasize likely voters the other way...
  25. JOHNL_0086 posted on 06/13/2014 10:29 AM
    I can't believe it. So sadly disappointed. After all that corruption & wasteful spending & the people still don't get it.

Guess the only good thing that'll come out of this is my prediction of Ontario's Liberal voters wish to go down in a blaze of glory, or, not so much glory.
showing 1-25 of 32 comments · show all comments

By Friday, we'll be into August. Have you enjoyed everything you set out to enjoy this summer?