News

 

UPDATE: What next for Angus?

100 homes damaged or destroyed, and more than 300 residents still not allowed to go home...

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed vitae mollis tellus

    Courtesy for Rey Mena

      Officials in Angus, Ontario held and update Wednesday morning after a tornado touched down in the area Tuesday afternoon.

      The mayor of Essa Township, Terry Dowdall, said 100 homes had been damaged by the storm and three people received minor injuries as the rooves were torn from houses and debris was thrown around by the strong winds.

      About 300 people who live in those homes are waiting on Wednesday to find out if they'll ever be allowed back into their houses. Building officials are holding a closed-door meeting with the residents on Wednesday afternoon.

      Environment Canada confirms it was an F-2 tornado, that was packing winds of near 180 kilometres an hour, that did most of the damage.

      The Township of Essa, in which Angus is located, declared a state of emergency on Tuesday night, which allowed for extra resources to be brought in deal with the storm's aftermath.

      Officials say a large number of the homes are uninhabitable.

      Residents who saw their homes damaged have been asked to call the Essa Building Department at 705-424-9770. 

      This video was posted to Facebook by Brash Photo Grafix:

      (Be advised video contains 'graphic' language)

      According to witnesses, the small hamlet of Utopia was hit especially hard, with damage to 6 homes, a community centre, a church and a barn.

      Environment Canada says the twister tracked east from Angus to the Mapleview Drive area south of Kempenfelt Bay in Barrie by about 5.35 PM, based on weather radar information.

      In the town of about 3,000 people that borders on CFB Borden, shingles, trees, trampolines and other debris littered the roadways.

      Residents of 90 homes were told to leave for the night, according to the OPP.

      3 people suffered minor injuries, and several others were treated and released by paramedics at the scene.

      Christopher Bentley, who lived on the street which appeared to have sustained the worst damage, said his own home had been spared but his neighbour's home and a house across the street had been badly hit.

      ``The first levels have been sheared right off, the top level of the houses,'' he said. ``Normally you see a two-storey house with a peaked roof, now it's one level, straight across.''

      Bentley said his neighbours are stunned, but coping. ``They want to get into their house, to get some stuff, to just make sure that they're ok for the night, that's all they're really worried about right now,'' he said, adding that fire officials were escorting residents into their damaged homes to collect some belongings as streets in the neighbourhood were cordoned off with police tape.

      As far as power outages go, there are about 3 thousand people in the dark in Markham, with PowerStream saying some may not get their lights turned back on until 7 o'clock Wednesday morning. There is some good news though. That number is down from a peak of 13 thousand customers when the storm first blew through.

      In Toronto, 6,000 customers lost power and Toronto Hydro hopes to have that restored by noon on Wednesday.

      Hydro One says across the province, 16,000 of its customers are without power

      Leave a comment:

      showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
      Comment Like
      • 13
      1. john posted on 06/18/2014 10:21 AM
        was this tornado name Katleen Wynne by any chance ? if u are a liberal voter don't bother trying to get what i am saying dont wastes your time brain dead people never get it anyways .
        1. Fact Provider posted on 06/18/2014 07:23 PM
          @john Still stuck on the Liberal "rout" on Tuesday, my uneducated Con troll?
        2. Fact Provider posted on 06/18/2014 07:23 PM
          @Fact Provider Make that Thursday.
        3. john posted on 06/19/2014 02:08 PM
          @Fact Provider my point has been taken
      2. Frankie posted on 06/18/2014 12:17 PM
        Had this happened before the election imagine how many billions Wynne would have promised them.
        1. Fact Provider posted on 06/18/2014 07:24 PM
          @Frankie Still stuck on the Liberal "rout" on Thursday, my uneducated Con troll?
        2. john posted on 06/19/2014 02:09 PM
          @Fact Provider as compared to a liberal troll ?
      3. This Is What You Wanted posted on 06/18/2014 02:47 PM
        100 homes and 100 home insurance policies.
        So what does that have to do with the province?
      4. Sheraz Siddiqui posted on 06/18/2014 03:07 PM
        Hi, Now they could design homes so there is a air pathway every where on outside walls, roof and so on. So what would happen when the air stream comes towards them it will just pass. and they will be save. Thanks
      5. frank posted on 06/18/2014 04:06 PM
        Why are adults being kept out of their own stable homes? And why is the media a mouthpiece, without question, for the fire dept.

        State interference must be curtailed as people have every right to enter their homes which they deem safe and take full responsibility for entering.

        There is no reason the fire dept can view every home within a hour or two and give most a cursory green light s owners can sign a waiver and go back home. Are these people being inconvenienced as part of an overtime grab?
        1. lisa posted on 06/18/2014 05:06 PM
          @frank What BS. Engineers do not need 3 days to look at a house to see if it is safe. My bet is that they give most houses 10 minutes at most. And most of these houses are either obviously ok or obviously damaged. ONly a few are questionable.

          Let people into their own homes. Maybe these should seek a court order to go home and corral overstepping state actors.
        2. Jim posted on 06/18/2014 10:05 PM
          @lisa I live 5 minutes down the road...there is no state of emergency, let insurance do there thing and yes it sounds like an overtime cash in on the tax payers $$$
        3. john posted on 06/19/2014 02:12 PM
          @lisa would not surprise me if the RCMP is down there braking into homes and stealing stuff from them like thay did in the red river flood .
      showing all comments

      Your GTA

      Sign Up For Breaking News Alerts

      Becoming a member only takes 60 seconds! Members get access to exclusive information and products that non-members do not, including concert ticket presales, trips, advance notice on upcoming entertainment events, movie screening passes, music giveaways and more!

      Login with Facebook

      Stay connected 24/7! Receive breaking news and programming alerts right to your inbox. CLICK HERE to sign-up.

      Today's Poll

      In light of the attacks that happened in Ottawa, do you feel safe in your city?

      Voting is restricted to one vote every 24 hour(s) VoteResults

      Top Stories

      Facebook

      Twitter