NEWS
 
More than 30,000 people forfeited their vote in the June 12th election
Unmarked ballots, declined ballots and spoiled ballots equalled the most since 1975...
0 0

More than 31,000 voters in Ontario dismissed their political choices at the polls and chose to officially forfeit their right to vote in last week's provincial election.

Elections Ontario says unofficial results show 31,399 voters opted to decline their ballots, the highest amount since 1975.

The agency says it also counted 22,687 rejected ballots and 12,059 unmarked ballots from the June 12 election.Elections Ontario spokesman Andrew Willis says a declined ballot is different from an unmarked one because it involves a voter actively informing an officer at the poll that they are choosing to
decline to vote.

The officer will then marked the ballot as a declined one and count it separately from rejected or unmarked ballots.

The Liberals won a majority in the election, securing 58 seats, while the Progressive Conservatives won 28 seats and the NDP got 21.

Categories:

DON'T MISS

TED RADIO HOUR

Welcome to TED Radio Hour hosted by Guy Raz, Saturdays at 6pm and Sundays at 7pm

 
0 0

More than 31,000 voters in Ontario dismissed their political choices at the polls and chose to officially forfeit their right to vote in last week's provincial election.

Elections Ontario says unofficial results show 31,399 voters opted to decline their ballots, the highest amount since 1975.

The agency says it also counted 22,687 rejected ballots and 12,059 unmarked ballots from the June 12 election.Elections Ontario spokesman Andrew Willis says a declined ballot is different from an unmarked one because it involves a voter actively informing an officer at the poll that they are choosing to
decline to vote.

The officer will then marked the ballot as a declined one and count it separately from rejected or unmarked ballots.

The Liberals won a majority in the election, securing 58 seats, while the Progressive Conservatives won 28 seats and the NDP got 21.

Top stories

Charlotte's police chief announced Saturday that he would release body and dashboard camera footage of the shooting of a black man after several days of demonstrations that have coalesced around demands that the public see the video.