Three 18-year-olds are under arrest after an armoured truck guard was shot during an attempted robbery Thursday morning in the Avenue Rd. and Lawrence Avenue area.
It was around 1 a.m. when an armoured truck pulled up to the TD Bank on Avenue Road to service the bank.
The guard was ambushed by 3 individuals and an exchange of gunfire took place between the suspects and the guard.
The man was shot four times and was rushed to hospital with life-threatening injuries.
Toronto police Staff Inspector Mike Earl says the three male suspects were picked up in the Lawrence Heights area not long after the shooting. A handgun was recovered.
Police say Rashid Clarke, Jaden Beckford and Nicholas Cross are all facing charges of attempted murder and robbery(see full list of charges below).
Police say these same suspects are linked to another attempted robbery of an armoured truck back on June 5th in the Lawrence Avenue and Bathurst Street area.
Investigators say the same two guards were targetted.
Toronto police are asking anyone who lives in the Avenue Road and Lawrence Avenue, as well as those west of there, to check their video surveillance cameras and their yards for anything unusual.
Jaden Beckford, 18, of no fixed address; Nicholas Cross, 18, of Toronto; and Rashid Clarke, 18, of no fixed address, are each charged with:
1) two counts of Armed Robbery
2) Careless use of Firearm
3) Pointing a Firearm
4) Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm
5) Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized
6) Possession of a Restricted Firearm with Ammunition
7) two counts of Conspiracy to Commit an Indictable Offence
8) two counts of Disguise with Intent
9) Attempt Murder
10) Discharge Firearm with Intent
11) Use Firearm During Commission of an Indictable Offence