Quebec woman found guilty in fatal crash after stopping to help ducks

Emma Czornobaj was convicted by a jury on two counts of criminal negligence causing death and two counts of dangerous driving causing death...

A woman who stopped to help a group of ducklings on the side of the road has been found guilty of causing the deaths of a motorcyclist and his passenger daughter who slammed into her parked car.

Emma Czornobaj was convicted today by a jury on two counts of criminal negligence causing death and two counts of dangerous driving causing death.

Czornobaj, 25, was charged in the deaths of Andre Roy, 50, and his daughter Jessie, 16, on a Montreal-area highway.

Roy's motorcycle slammed into Czornobaj's car, which was stopped in the left lane of a provincial highway in Candiac, south of Montreal.

His daughter was riding on the back of the motorcycle when the collision happened on June 27, 2010.

The trial heard that Czornobaj, who had three years' driving experience at the time, had stopped to rescue ducklings on the side of the road.

The professed animal lover told the court that she did not see the ducklings' mother anywhere and planned to capture them and take them home.

1. Shirley wilson posted on 06/20/2014 01:26 PM
    What was she thinking? She stopped on a Hwy? Incredulous! Plain and simple stupidity! Throw the book at her. She should also lose the privilege of driving for life.
    That poor man and teenage daughter!
    1. Jim posted on 06/21/2014 12:17 AM
      @Shirley wilson Oh so true....but the father riding his motorcycle with his young daughter on the back must have been a little more stupid seeing as 2 cars passed by the stopped car then the motorcycles plows right into it causing death. Now I have been riding on the streets since 1991 and always have my eyes where I want to go.....so IMHO this guy was not fully alert or not looking ahead.
  2. GregH_5652 posted on 06/20/2014 02:19 PM
    When I first heard this story, they said she was pulled off the road and I had some sympathy for her. Now I find out that she was in the goddamned passing lane??!! Good Lord, how stupid. Complete lack of common sense.
    When I was in driver's ed, the teacher asked the class what to do if a dog darted out in front of your car. Some said "Brake", some said "Swerve". He said "You hit the dog". It's not pleasant but you don't risk human life over an animal.
    1. dama posted on 06/20/2014 02:52 PM
      @GregH_5652 My wife and I were going for dinner this past weekend and during the last corner to the restaurant, there was a big pile of branches and twigs on the road that I have to avoid, after dinner and on the way home, I saw the same pile and I said: I am going to stop and move that pile off the road,, my wife said: No.. someone might hit me ..

so good thought but safety first .

another story: this happened a few years ago:

Driving to work in the morning,, saw a dog from the corner of my right eye, running towards the road.. I brake,, the dog hit my front bumper and whined.. I then stopped and search for the dog.. an onlooker saw the whole incident , told me the dog ran behind a house and was ok..

what a relief..
  3. Sher posted on 06/21/2014 02:35 AM
    I was driving west bound in the 401 collector lanes somewhere between Ajax and East Scarborough today at around 11am, and there was a work truck, I think it was an Enbridge Work Truck stopped in the 2nd lane to the right or the fast lane (left most lane in the collectors). The male driver - I think he was wearing an orange workers vest - was standing beside the right side median barrier waving at oncoming traffic. I actually left the left lane and entered the 2nd lane to the right to avoid the man when I realized there was a stationary truck close ahead and had to maneuver back quickly to avoid what would have been a deadly collision.

I haven’t seen or heard anything in the news about this, and hope no one was hurt. I doubt it is possible his truck just spontaneously died and he had no warning; it’s highly unlikely the driver wouldn’t have had any warning of mechanical difficulty.

Highway 401 is video recorded – anyone can seek proof of this by requesting access. I don’t think this woman should by criminally charge, nor do I think the man who left his vehicle on the 401 today should be criminally charged.

If 2 cars managed to maneuver around this woman’s stationary vehicle, the motorcyclist was obviously not in full care and control. And, I don’t know if that as factual it is just what I read here. I am sympathetic and my prayers go out to the family of those that lost their lives but to charge this young woman criminally and make her example is wrong. But if we are penalizing people for accidents or stupidity this 401 guy is a candidate and on multiple levels.
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 06/24/2014 11:33 AM
      @Sher If it was the right lane, then yes it MAY have been possible to swerve.
      The lady stopped in the passing lane. No brake lights. No hazard lights- nothing. AND its around a curve. There is no way to anticipate that.

She didn't even have the frame of mind to pull onto the shoulder. The motorcycle was completely innocent here. Shame on the animal lover, who values animals over human life.
  4. Sher posted on 06/21/2014 02:41 AM
    To clarify:

The male driver - I think he was wearing an orange workers vest - was standing beside the LEFT side median barrier waving at oncoming traffic.

His right - our left as we approached.

As the body of Cpl Nathan Cirillo headed home, did you make your way to the Highway of Heroes?