Serious crash closes 401 in Whitby/Oshawa

Police say a transport truck and car collided in the westbound lanes between Stephenson and Thickson Rds.

CP24

A serious crash has closed WB Hwy 401 in the Whitby and Oshawa area.

OPP Sgt Kerry Schmidt says that four vehicles collided in the westbound lanes between Stephenson and Thickson Rds.

He says it appears that a transport truck rear-ended a Toyota car. Another car and a coach bus were also involved.

The back seat passenger of the Toyota was killed. The driver and other passenger sustained serious injuries.

The occupant of the other car received minor injuries.

Police are investigating the cause of the crash.

The WB lanes remain closed along that stretch.

1. Angry Bill posted on 06/24/2014 12:01 PM
    I see cars cutting off transport trucks all the time. I just shake my head at them. You wanna keep cutting off transport trucks, eventually you're going to be a statistic just like the above story.
    1. danieljchristie posted on 06/24/2014 12:07 PM
      @Angry Bill And I see transports tailgating and intimidating al the time too. And I see sleepy truckers weaviing all over the 401 between Port Hope (where I live) an Toronto all the time. But, since Angry Bill has already compleated his investigation, I withdraw any further testimony.
    2. Hard core trucker posted on 06/24/2014 12:58 PM
      @danieljchristie Cars fault. That is all.
    3. dama posted on 06/24/2014 02:52 PM
      @Hard core trucker Not car's fault .. driver error..

Cutting off trucks is different than overtaking trucks, One has to speed up and leave a few cars length before moving back in

From that picture, I am assuming that Toyota moved in too soon and truck rear ended it.....nonetheless,, it is tragic lost of a life

Share the road.. and drive with focus..
    4. Angry Bill posted on 06/24/2014 04:04 PM
      @danieljchristie And well you should withdraw any further testimony. Until you look at a few statistics.

A FAR higher percentage of car drivers driver stupidly and make stupid mistakes than do professional drivers (ie, truck drivers... who are actually better trained on their vehicle than you are on yours).

Percentage wise, far more truck drivers know how to drive than regular car drivers. Most accidents involving transport trucks and cars are the car drivers' fault. Any statistic you look up from any source would tell you that.
    5. also a truck driver posted on 06/24/2014 10:00 PM
      @Angry Bill And these statistics allow you to arrive at a specific conclusion in this specific case?
      lol. Come on man, you don't know what happened, neither do I or anyone else in this thread. Don't defend speculation as truth.

A LOT of shitty truck drivers out there too.
  2. Lets wait for the truth to come out. posted on 06/24/2014 01:17 PM
    I love how we all apparently know what happen. We assume and assuming gets as know where lets wait for the facts to come out.
    Truckers have a hard job driving everywhere on schedule and yes there are truckers that think they own the road and have cause plenty of accidents.
    There are all so plenty of drivers out there that just don't want to be stuck behind a trucker and give them no room to stop and cut them off... all I have to say to those people... Hello... do you have a death wish that truck will do a lot more damage to you... than you to it...
    But here we have no evidence from the pic you can't even tell what happen so lets wait for the facts. rant down...
  3. mad trucker posted on 06/24/2014 06:17 PM
    I've been driving truck in the Toronto hiways for a ton of years. It comes down to this a truck driver should always keep enough distance to stop his machine. Simple fact nothing else to say about that. Just like in any rear end situation the cause will always be blamed on the rear vehicle........ However here is my argument. The average truck in Ontario weighs approx 90'000 lbs. Loaded. I try to keep my distance but with this cones a problem...... There is now a gap about 8 car lengths ahead of me at any given time..... more so in a bumper to bumper situation..... now what I see every single time is people taking my safe distance away by filling this void ahead of me.... not only do they just merge over but aggressively fly by me and the cut me off and slam on the brakes to avoid a rear end collision them selves.... it's simple math I've left enough space to stop now you have taken that away.... now instead of having 140 to 160 feet to stop it gets shortened by 20 feet per vehicle....... sorry but I can slow down and recalculate my safe distance for every time I get cut off. I'd have to drive backwards. So this is why you see big trucks tighten up and lane block to avoid being slowed down and cut off. In the incident that took place today I feel the driver didn't stop in time for rush hour back up. But this is only speculation. 183

As the body of Cpl Nathan Cirillo headed home, did you make your way to the Highway of Heroes?