Rob & Doug Ford face new conflict-of-interest complaint

Complaint filed by watchdoug group alleges the Ford brothers mix their family business with their work at City Hall

Rob and Doug Ford host a show on NEWSTALK 1010 (file photo)
Photo: NEWSTALK 1010

The government transparency group Democracy Watch has filed a complaint asking Toronto's Integrity Commissioner to investigate the conduct of Mayor Rob Ford and his brother Doug in their dealings with companies connected to the family-owned printing company, Deco Labels and Tags.

This flows from last months allegations by the Globe and Mail that the Ford's used senior city bureaucrats to help Apollo Health and Beauty Care and R.R. Donnelley Canada.

In the case of Donnelley, the allegation is that the company was planning to build a commercial relationship with Deco and the Ford's tried to get Donnelley in at city hall to contract out the city's $9-million a year printing business.

In that instance, the Globe claims, the Ford's made no mention of the relationship with senior bureaucrats.

Democracy Watch spokesman Duff Conacher, in filing the complaint to the Integrity Commissioner, says "the key question is how much can a city councillor be a lobbyist for a private interest and what are the restrictions on that."

Mayor Ford is scheduled to return from his stint in rehab Monday afternoon, when he is scheduled to make a statement but will answer no questions.

NewsTalk 1010 will carry his comments live.

1. justsaying posted on 06/27/2014 09:40 AM
    The Ford Bothers do it again....to themselves. Sure, say you will detail the gravy train, and pocket $ for their company? This is exactly the kind of fraud and deceit he said he was against? Criminal charges to come? Very poor choices from these two....
    1. Sonny posted on 06/27/2014 10:38 AM
      @justsaying The 27% of Ford morons should become aware of this because their family business is benefitting from their positions of power. Ford slandered the Boardwalk Cafe... I drove by there yesterday and it is now named "Paralia"
  2. AC posted on 06/27/2014 09:52 AM
    the media should not show up for his statement when he returns.
    no one cares anymore. Just stay away and don't report on it
    1. Mark7 posted on 06/27/2014 10:23 AM
      @AC Oh Really? Those of us who don't want to be ripped off by criminal lefties DO CARE.
    2. justaying posted on 06/27/2014 10:51 AM
      @Mark7 Um Mark - those of us with conscience do not want to be ripped of by anyone, least of all a Mayor who says he is against the Gravy Train, yet uses his office to drive $ to his own family business.

If you are good with that, then you deserve Ford as your mayor. The rest of us, not so much.
    3. Phil posted on 06/27/2014 05:40 PM
      @Mark7 Mark, you seem like a smart guy. Help me out here. Which lefty criminal activities are you talking about?
  3. Judi posted on 06/27/2014 10:02 AM
    Honestly, while I wish Mr. Ford success in his addiction recovery, that in itself is a long journey and trust is a huge thing for him to get back from all concerned in both his personal and private life. That being said, I have not missed the drama and think that Toronto really needs to move along without him at the helm.
    1. Mark7 posted on 06/27/2014 10:24 AM
      @Judi "Move along" to what may I ask? A return to criminal lefties running things?
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 06/27/2014 10:49 AM
      @Mark7 I believe the term "pedantic nit-picking" comes to mind.

As for the missed drama, that's because the media has been hobbling along for a while without their favorite toy.
  4. Karl Burgin posted on 06/27/2014 11:13 AM
    And another thing, this government "transparency" group- were they so focused on the things of Rob Ford, that they missed the last 12 years of mismanagement, corruption and idiocy by the corrupt Liberals at Queens Park? Or do they share the bed sheets, and are bound by some confidentiality agreement- where one isn't allowed to blow the whistle on the other.....
    1. justsaying posted on 06/27/2014 12:29 PM
      @Karl Burgin Karl, how can you continue to cheer lead for this guy? And why do you continue to blame the messenger and question their motives, instead of owning up to the truth - which is that the Ford brothers have been exposed as blatantly CORRUPT. This is the final nail in his coffin.

Seems Ford Nation, would rather elect a liar and cheat. And please do not compare to the Liberals - we are talking municipal politics, not anything else.
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 06/27/2014 12:51 PM
      @justsaying You pose a great question JUSTSAYING. Read my answer below for all to see- don't want it to get buried in the hidden replies.
      And I promise I wouldn't compare to corrupt Liberal governments- and stay on the same plain.
  5. dama posted on 06/27/2014 12:28 PM
    The timing of this is a suspect just when Rob Ford is coming back on Monday.. cant do without Rob For eh?

The truth is, politicians help companies they know off and associated with.. you think the Bushes in the USA did not make money when they were US Presidents??

You think Brain Mulroney didnt make money on the Airbus deal when he was the PM ??

The Fords are no different..
    1. justsaying posted on 06/27/2014 12:34 PM
      @dama I'd say corruption is corruption. Graft is Graft.

Politicians whose families benefit from their position are criminals.

Only tin pot dictators behave in this manner - and those (in a democracy)that are caught, are sent to jail.

Here's hoping... if only...could you imagine? And let's not deflect this onto others,. or compare to anyone else - the Fords did this to themselves....again?
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 06/27/2014 12:48 PM
      @dama You are right dama. Read my response below as why you are right to believe your gut instinct.
  6. Karl Burgin posted on 06/27/2014 12:48 PM
    @JUSTSAYING

How can I keep supporting the Fords, even during this so-called corruption. Here's why:

I was listening to AM640 a couple weeks ago when this story was floating around. Bill Carroll somehow got the reporter who got this story in the paper on the air.
    Essentially, he paints a picture of the Fords being involved with corruption concerning their Deco label company- except he won't outright say it. But he would rather the reader/audience come to that conclusion.
    Before you hit me over the head with a mallet, I am fully aware that AM 640 is more of a conservative right-wing station- even more so than CFRB. But Bill Carroll does tell it like it is. He isn't really in Rob Ford's corner- and he dumps on the mayor when he deserves it. But unlike most media hosts these days, he is also capable of giving Ford credit when he deserves it.
    So back to this story at hand, Carroll was actually on your side of the fence. Because his reasoning is that Ford may have a messed-up personal life, but he hangs his reputation on looking out for the tax payer, and being a fiscal conservative. Hence, Bill surmised that if this story is true, that Ford's support will fade away, because it would go against everything Rob Ford stands for.
    Enter Globe and Mail reporter to explain the story at hand here. While he was able to answer some of the background stuff behind this story, he never came to the conclusion that there was corruption afoot. Not to mention that when Bill tried to get a definite answer out of him, that all of a sudden the reporter's answers became 'lawyered-up'.

So in essence, while it may seem that there may corruption to be exposed, there is also a great (not minuscule) possibility of there being nothing to get hot-and-bothered about at all.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I've said, when the media does crap like this, it is what strengthens Ford nation. It is what makes me take a second glance, instead of readily believing whatever they report/print. It is what makes me believe that there is a bias in the media to put Ford in a bad light no matter the cost. It makes me question the media's motives concerning any stories surrounding Ford.
    I challenge you to look for the podcast on the AM640 website, with the interview between Bill Carroll and the Globe and Mail reporter, and listen for yourself.

Media standards have dropped to record lows JUSTSAYING. I'm sorry but I'm used to the high-standard objective information provided by my print and news media from the days of old. Not gutter-trash, sensational yellow-journalism- that prints whatever stories without purpose, other than to tickle the public fancies with their explosive headlines. Leave that crap for news media like the Enquirer. I expect better from my mainstream news media.
    1. justsaying posted on 06/27/2014 02:00 PM
      @Karl Burgin Yo Karl: So you are saying...that when the media brings your attention very inappropriate actions the mayor and his brother have done - you take that as an opportunity to challenge the media, instead of looking at what is being asked?

This kill the messenger is an Anne Coulter kind of thinking. If we stay on topic and really investigate - what is under the rock will reach the light of day. Why would anyone oppose that?

You'd ask for that against any other politician, why not these two?

Maybe the reporter clammed up his chat because they had more evidence that he could not yet share - as another story is in the works.

We don't know and speculation is just that.

But, from where I sit, I truly see the Fords acting in their own best interests to pursue their own ends - which may or may not benefit the city - but surely helps their family business and their business' associates. That is corruption at is basest and what this family is supposed to be against. Oops, caught in another lie......
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 06/27/2014 02:13 PM
      @justsaying You seem to be missing the point.

Here a three scenarios:

Scenario #1:
      If there was investigative reporting done, and there was a conclusion to be had that there was corruption afoot- I would be content with that.

Scenario #2:
      If there was investigative reporting done, there are factors that might point to corruption, but there is nothing substantive yet- do not publish until you find something concrete.

Scenario #3:
      If you do investigative reporting, but nothing comes of it- so you publish your story anyway outlining the process, but not stating that its come to naught- keep your damn trap shut and don't publish- because it borders on libel.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
      Of the three scenarios I've just illustrated, the Globe and Mail are at the latter end of scenario two and entering into scenario three.
      They were doing investigative reporting. They have a disgruntled employee to rely on from Deco labels- but no one is sure if what he is spilling is actual fact- or if he is just being a disgruntled employee.
      This is the same crap that landed the Toronto Star from stellar journalism to yellow journalism.

The problem JUSTSAYING is publishing a story before any viable facts come out. And should there be nothing to this story? Well the damage is done anyway. You can retract all you want- but you can't unring the bell. This is the issue I have- and keep repeating.
      If there was truth to this story, I wouldn't have an issue with it. If there isn't nothing, but you print the story anyway, which makes it looks as if you're trying to say something but you really aren't- that is both cowardly and stupid- not to mention falling far below the ethics, morals and standards of what a nationwide news media is supposed to represent.
    3. Karl Burgin posted on 06/27/2014 02:16 PM
      @justsaying Also, I'm serious about the podcast. Did you find and listen to it. He didn't clam up and not share because of the possibility of more evidence.
      He clammed his trap because of the possibility of a lawsuit if he dared tread any further.

I listened to the interview live JUSTSAYING- i heard what the reporter had to say. I was a good build-up- but that is all.
      There is nothing to this story.
    4. Ultimate Insider posted on 06/27/2014 03:30 PM
      @Karl Burgin Almost every word spewed by you in these latest attempts at explaining your perverted fascination with Rob Ford is crap.

Get out of your basement, find a full time job and stop wasting your life in hero worship of a failed human being.
    5. Karl Burgin posted on 06/27/2014 03:46 PM
      @Ultimate Insider So assuming that you read my response to JUSTSAYING, that you listened to the interview I recommended, found out that I was right in my conclusions- but you chose to shut your eyes, cover your ears, and call me names because it burns being wrong.

Got it.
    6. tanjo posted on 06/27/2014 03:51 PM
      @Karl Burgin If the Globe stops short of the word "corruption", when they don't have proof, then that is to their credit.

That does not mean they have to sit on the story until absolute and undeniable proof is obtained. They can present the known facts and let the readers make up their own mind.

Honestly there is nothing new here, except that a formal complaint has been filed. I feel like I have already wasted too many words on ....
    7. Karl Burgin posted on 06/27/2014 04:16 PM
      @tanjo You nailed the point I was driving at.
      But that doesn't make it ok- to let the readers to come to their own conclusion. What kind of reputable news organisation does that- where they give you news story, and the do a 'nudge-nudge, wink-wink...'.
      And then if the story is unfounded, then how do you reign in the opinion you've already shaped in to the minds of your readers/ audience. You simply can't.

At that point, you've just disqualified yourself as being objective, and now you have a bias. That is not the roles of reputable news media. It can be the role of sites lie Gawker. And it can be the role of magazines like Enquirer. It can even be the role of political satire like This Hour has 22 Minutes.
      The role of the news is not supposed to be level of Ron Burgundy. If I wanted to watch/listen to that crap, i would visit the movies- because then I know it would be entertainment. That is the problem I have here. And that is the problem I've always had with media when they report on Ford. And that is why the Ford nation foundation is still so strong and unmovable- as much as many would like to deny it.
    8. tanjo posted on 06/27/2014 04:42 PM
      @Karl Burgin This is why I read multiple sources of information before drawing a conclusion. I find it fascinating how each source can use the same facts, and by emphasizing certain things over others, reach almost opposite conclusions.

However, when all the news sources are on the same page, THAT is when you know you are in trouble !
    9. Karl Burgin posted on 06/27/2014 05:00 PM
      @tanjo "This is why I read multiple sources of information before drawing a conclusion."

Bingo! And that's true of most of the informed who comment here, or have the time to inform themselves. But unfortunately most of the population don't inform themselves.
      I don;t mean to delve off-topic here, but take the last provincial election as an example. With all the corruption and wasted money by the Liberals, logic would tell you that the only outcome would be that they would be ousted from government.
      However, you had the union dabbling in scare tactics. You had the other leaders saying that Hudak would take away jobs. All of a sudden, instead of the focus being on what the Liberals have done, and punishing them for it- the focus has now become on what Hudak plans to do, and punishing the PCs for it.
      So when you have the majority of the population not informing themselves (as you aptly put it), crazy things tend to happen- like another 4 years of a Liberal majority.

Which again brings me to the point that the news media have a responsibility getting it right and accurate. When you have news dabbling in gossip and rumors, and people who read it believe it to be true, that is not a good mixture.
  7. lisa posted on 06/27/2014 01:44 PM
    Of the $30B or so the city spends each year, the $120B provincial budget which contains many boondoggles and the $30K+ all three levels of gov. spend per capita each year, much of it wasted, Democracy Watch has hung its reputation on the possibility that the mayor praised a certain company's work and might have recommended it be considered.

How is government to function without opinions? What's the big deal about these rumours? Do we see a gravy train connection? Or is DW merely out to lunch.
  8. Karl Burgin posted on 06/27/2014 04:08 PM
    FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS

I post because I steal...those that read my posts know that I was paid for 8 hours today but worked only 3.
  9. Rob Ford is the best posted on 06/27/2014 05:18 PM
    Rob Ford is the best thing to ever happen. Thanks to this man and his devoted brother, the two of them have dragged the Canadian Conservative image to the lowest level....the dirtiest image.....the highest hypocrisy....around the globe.
    Thank you Rob Ford for doing what no attack ad could possibly ever dream of, with your constant and blatant lies, your inappropriate behaviour, your questionable associates, you arrogance and your over all poor judgement on just about every area of life.

Thank you so much Rob Ford for all you have accomplished.
    1. Rob Ford's Big Brother Doug Ford posted on 06/27/2014 06:03 PM
      @Rob Ford is the best I am the brains in this operation.

Rob is a dumb fat ass but I am the brains.

Look out Christine Elliott ... I am going to be the PC leader because I am the brains.
  10. HEY NEWSTALK ADMINS posted on 06/27/2014 06:20 PM
    Is there any way that we can separate the people who are just here to make juvenile crass jokes from the people who are interested in making real comments, starting discussions, and engaging in meaningful debate?
    1. Sammy from Scarborough posted on 06/27/2014 08:19 PM
      @HEY NEWSTALK ADMINS I agree with you.

The problem, however, is that these forums are filled with twaddle from the likes of Karl Burgin, john, dama, Mark7, Ernie and a few other nitwits who feel that their opinions are actually given any serious thought by anyone with an IQ over 75.
  11. Rob Ford is nothing posted on 06/27/2014 08:49 PM
    Rob Ford is nothing but a chump. We could care less about his weight or other things that he is going to try to impress us with.
    The fact is that he defamed two Toronto Star reporters KNOWINGLY and REPEATEDLY and is not man enough to do a public apology. So his weasel brother Doug should do too.
  12. frank posted on 06/28/2014 07:42 AM
    Not new, just the usual partisan rehash, by an organization that's failed to take a stand on a hundred real and substantial scandals involving billions of dollars. This one's just a rumour, along with most of the reported Ford scandals.
    1. Sammy from Scarborough posted on 06/28/2014 11:45 AM
      @frank You wish, foolish Ford lover.
  13. Ford More Years! posted on 06/28/2014 01:19 PM
    Ford More Years! Ford More Years!
    That's all it will take to surpass Mike Harris and take the Conservative party to the lowest political altitude of this land can handle.without being covered in acid rain.
    Rob Ford has done so much damage to the Conservative movement yet he can do SO MUCH MORE!

Come election day, Rob along with his bro Doug may have the opportunity to do damage beyond repair!

Give it a go Rob. Take a little time out in your sisters basement than hit the campaign trail!!!
  14. One day left posted on 06/29/2014 05:12 AM
    One day left till the cuties sisters Rob and Doug come aboard to tell us al the bull about how big sis is a new person!

Ford Nation should go out and get their bullshit baffles brains headsets ready for the big speech.
  15. Brenda Konkle posted on 06/29/2014 02:00 PM
    Gosh he is just leaving rehab now not even back yet and they have started already.
  16. Rob Ford's big brother, Doug posted on 06/29/2014 09:20 PM
    What's not to love about making fun of a fool (fat a$$ Rob)who has done so much to bring disgrace to everything he touches?

I am the brains.

I will be the leader of the PC's.

Rob will get 19% of the vote if he stays sober until October.

Do you believe the companies you give your personal and financial details to are able to keep them safe from hackers?