Mayor's office issues statement saying Ford reimbursed salary from rehab stint

Office says although Rob Ford was entitled to his salary during his leave, he paid it all back upon his return.

If you were wondering whether or not taxpayers were on the hook for Mayor Rob Ford's salary during his stay at a Bracebridge area rehab facility, wonder no more. Ford's office issued a statement on Wednesday morning as the mayor attended his first Executive Committee meeting since returning from seeking treatment for his drug and alcohol issues.  In the statement it says that the mayor's first act of business when he returned to work on Monday was to reimburse the city for his salary during his leave (see full statement below).

There were numerous questions thrown at the mayor on Wednesday including questions about his paid leave of absence, but the mayor briskly walked into his office without taking any questions ahead of the Executive Committee meeting.

Statement from Rob Ford's Office:

"Reimbursement of Mayor Ford’s Salary While on Leave

Mayor Ford has recently resumed his duties after a leave of absence.

While on leave, the Mayor was entitled to receive his full salary.

Upon returning to office on Monday, one of the Mayor’s first acts was reimbursing the City of Toronto for the full salary he received while on leave."

1. Roy posted on 07/02/2014 11:38 AM
    Using a giant novelty cheque?
    1. Suz58 posted on 07/04/2014 08:36 AM
      @Roy Haha, love it!
      Wake up people, just the fact that he made it public that he paid it back, tells us it was a publicity stunt for re-election.
      Most people, when they do an act of kindness, or retribution, do not advertise it.
      We are only going to hear the good that Ford does.
      I am telling you, his Family is the push behind him. The city of Toronto votes Ford in, they are supporting Deco Labels and the rest of his family.
  2. DD posted on 07/02/2014 12:18 PM
    So who paid for his rehab? it wasn't OHIP. Luxury rehabs like Greenstone are private pay - usually through extended health care plans.

Why aren't we asking who paid for his rehab? Nice that he returned his salary but what was the real cost. Nice to be a millionaire who doesn't need the pay cheque
    1. tanjo posted on 07/02/2014 12:39 PM
      @DD I will give credit where it is due. This is one (of many) examples of Ford's heart being in the right place. There are a lot of millionaires out there that would never even consider returning the money.
    2. Ernie posted on 07/02/2014 12:43 PM
      @DD DD - I am sure you would be the first to complain if your company did not continue your salary or pay your rehab if you were in such a situation. Most unions fight for this luxury.

The fact that Ford repaid it is commendable but by city policy was not required and the city should NOT have accepted his payment cheque.
    3. Teresa posted on 07/03/2014 12:52 PM
      @DD Seriously DD??? Isn't this kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't??
      Rid yourself of the jealousy of Ford's financial abilities and carry on with your day.
      Rob has the right ideas for saving money however his personal issues need a bit of help. He has received some help and now we should just wish him the very best in living a clean life. I would hope you have the decency to wish that for any other human battling demons. I'm certain you must have a few of your own.
    4. Suz58 posted on 07/04/2014 08:43 AM
      @tanjo Two months salary is nothing compared to the fringe benefits Ford can do for Deco Labels. That was probably money he saved on drugs for the two months he was "in rehab".
      Liars don't become liars over night. It is a talent, they get better with time.
      Instead of listening to what he says, read more into what he does not say!
      It also struck me odd that he thanked his family for sticking by him while in rehab...publicly. Is that not something you would keep personal...does this guy have any filters?
  3. tanjo posted on 07/02/2014 12:19 PM
    He can keep the two months ... if he returns the year-and-a-half before that !
    1. Mark7 posted on 07/02/2014 12:40 PM
      @tanjo My pocketbook has had more money during that year and a half. Of course all the good Rob has done will be eradicated because of Toronto pinheads who voted the criminal Fiberals back in.
    2. Brian posted on 07/02/2014 02:15 PM
      @Mark7 Mark you should go to Cuba where you can tell voters how to vote - instead of complaining when the majority don't vote the way you think they should vote
    3. Angry Bill posted on 07/02/2014 03:00 PM
      @Brian I wouldn't quite call less than 1/3 of the voters a majority. More than 2/3 of the voters didn't vote liberal.
    4. Brian posted on 07/02/2014 03:33 PM
      @Angry Bill I am confuse are you saying that our system of election is wrong?
    5. Karl Burgin posted on 07/02/2014 04:22 PM
      @Mark7 Don't worry about the Fiberals being voted in- its a consolation prize at best.
      Because so many people were absolutely floored (including myself) when Wynne got voted in, I'm betting that many people are going to vote for Ford out of retaliation.

Except, between the two, Ford is genuine.
    6. Sammy from Scarborough posted on 07/02/2014 06:34 PM
      @Karl Burgin "Except, between the two, Ford is genuine."

Ha ha ha ... delusion run rampant.

That statement is almost as funny as "Karl Burgin expresses well thought out opinions".
    7. Karl Burgin posted on 07/02/2014 08:36 PM
      @Sammy from Scarborough Maybe u need to read the comment again. Between Wynne and Ford, Ford is more genuine.
      You mean to tell me, that despite all the money wasted, and the cover ups, Wynne is more genuine over Ford?

Now who's delusional? Keep your comments in Scarborough
    8. Mark7 posted on 07/02/2014 08:52 PM
    9. Sammy from Scarborough posted on 07/02/2014 09:31 PM
      @Karl Burgin Keep your comments in Brampton.

Unlike you, I have a vote in this race.
    10. Angry Bill posted on 07/03/2014 11:04 AM
      @Brian No, Brian. I'm saying your math skills are wrong.
  4. ken u believit posted on 07/02/2014 02:42 PM
    Although Rob Ford has had addiction problems he has done his job better than any of the politicians I can think of. He cares about the people of Toronto and it shows. He's the most fiscal responsible politician. I know his private life has been a mess but he's been great for the city. I believe he'll be elected again and I believe that will be good for the people of Toronto.
    1. Brian posted on 07/02/2014 03:54 PM
      @ken u believit I wonder if you would get into a car with Rob Ford after he had just finish one of his drug binge
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 07/02/2014 04:23 PM
      @Brian yeah....so that comment makes no sense. But if we follow that logic....so since Wynne/Liberals blew a billion dollars, would you trust them to hold your wallet?
    3. Karl Burgin's neighbour posted on 07/02/2014 07:28 PM
      @Karl Burgin "yeah....so that comment makes no sense"
      That's rich, coming from you, Karl.

The next time you make sense with a comment will be the FIRST and, likely, the ONLY.

BTW - your June basement rent is due
    4. Brian posted on 07/02/2014 08:03 PM
      @Karl Burgin I notice that you did not say if you will enter a car with a drunk Rob Ford
    5. Karl Burgin posted on 07/02/2014 08:39 PM
      @Brian I know I wouldn't get in the car with you- sober or drunk.
      I would rather get in the car with Ford drunk than with u.

Stupidness also kills - which is something u should go to rehab for.
    6. TBC posted on 07/03/2014 05:39 PM
      @ken u believit Fiscally responsible? How?? By cancelling much needed tax revenue? By using city-funded resources for his football team and for private errands (getting booze)? By lying about his record??
      Cares about the people of Toronto? Who??? Certainly not any Torontonians who are gay, South Asian, Italian, or Jamaican. Not immigrants (they are all criminals and should be deported). Certainly not cyclists (when they get hit on the road, they were asking for it). Not women (let me explain to you little women how politics work. And don't mind my disgusting remarks about politics or my own wife).
      You are picking and choosing from Rob Ford's behaviour if you ignore all of this. This is who that man is.
    7. Bill posted on 07/03/2014 06:59 PM
      @ken u believit It's ok that Rob Ford raped me because he didn't kill me and eat me. Most other rapists would have so that means Rob Ford's heart is in the right place.
  5. Walter posted on 07/02/2014 03:50 PM
    Rob Ford needs to realize how important it is to have a Ford representing the residents of Ward 2. It looks like Doug Ford will be going back to working in the family business. So please, Rob Ford, consider running instead for Councillor in Ward 2 so that those residents can be properly represented.

(The real benefit is that it increases the likelihood that Olivia Chow loses to John Tory.
    1. Rob Ford works posted on 07/02/2014 05:07 PM
      @Walter Rob Ford (along with family member Doug) works for the interest of Deco Tags and Labels.
      Do you know how much harder it is for a company to compete without having 'connections' at the top?
  6. Rob Ford loves posted on 07/02/2014 04:59 PM
    Rob Ford loves to communicate with the people of Toronto, except on the issues the citizens really want answers to..

Same Rob Ford in a new suit.
  7. Doug (I am the Brains) Ford posted on 07/02/2014 07:23 PM
    It was my idea (as the head of the re-election campaign and because I am the Brains) to have Rob give back the money paid to him as mayor-in-name-only.

Rob does what I tell him to do because he's the dumb fat A$$ and I am the Brains.

Look out, Christine Elliott - I will be the PC leader because I am the Brains.
  8. Dr. Blitz posted on 07/03/2014 05:06 PM
    The Fords are pretty well known for not always being honest. I will believe that he reimbursed his salary when it is confirmed by someone reliable. I'm not saying he didn't, I'm just saying that by this point we'd be foolish to believe anything that comes out of his office.
  9. blair kruse posted on 07/03/2014 07:07 PM
    his family is worth 50 million,,,hes no theif like manwillini,,,he gets her done ....and 2 experence drugs everyone should see what they do..
    1. Irony's Bitch posted on 07/04/2014 09:05 AM
      @blair kruse Blair - have you considered suing whatever public school system you attended for failure to deliver an education to you?
  10. Suz58 posted on 07/04/2014 08:49 AM
    Don't be mistaken! The Ford brothers brag day in and day out about what they have done for Toronto. Anyone that brags about something that much is trying to convince someone they did well. If he actually did that well, he would not have to blow his own horn. The proof is in the pudding!
    I would bet that the numbers do not add up...paper and reality can be two very different.
  11. Sweet Sticky Rainbow posted on 07/05/2014 07:42 PM
    Much of what politicians do is inexplicable. At least you lot know. The dude is high as a kite.
    1. Ford more posted on 07/05/2014 08:25 PM
      @Sweet Sticky Rainbow Ford more months! Ford more months!
  12. Mark7 posted on 07/06/2014 07:35 AM
    It's just more BS...he can donate the money back to us taxpayers but there's no way they can unravel the tax deductions and liabilities, cost of benefits, and the money they paid his staff for doing nothing while he was in hiding. It's sad that us taxpayers are idiots and fall for this crap...I'm beginning to think that only idiots vote for this guy.

Dec 23rd is expected to be the busiest shopping day of the year. Have you finished your Christmas shopping?