New Poll Shows Rob Ford's Return Not Helping His Popularity

Forum Research poll shows nearly 6 in 10 do not think the mayor will stay clean and sober.

Mayor Rob Ford's return from rehab did not give him a boost in popularity, in fact it has done just the opposite.

Forum Research surveyed nearly 12-hundred voters on Wednesday and nearly 6 in 10 do not think the Mayor will stay clean and sober until Election Day in October.

If he does stay clean, 26 percent of Ford Nation says they would vote for him again.  However, nearly 7 in 10 won't give him a second chance.

There are now more people (62%) calling for the Mayor to resign compared to 58 percent near the end of June.

Of the 60 percent of Torontonians who listened or watched Ford's speech on Monday, 60 percent said the explanations and apologies were not satisfactory.

What does this mean for the other candidates in the Mayor's race?  John Tory has the highest approval rating at 63 percent.  Olivia Chow sits at 57 percent.  David Socknacki's approval rating is 44 percent while Karen Stintz sits at 41%.  Rob Ford's approval rating is 31 percent.

In a 5 way race, Olivia Chow would win with 36 percent while John Tory would pull in 27%.   Rob Ford would only squeak out 26% of the vote.

If Rob Ford were to withdraw from the race, John Tory would win it with 38% followed by Olivia Chow with 36%, which is a statistical dead heat.

1. sam posted on 07/04/2014 12:19 PM
    i'm still not convinced RoFo will make it to end of Oct in the race. if he does stay in i say his numbers will finish in the single digits when it's said and done
  2. frank posted on 07/04/2014 12:41 PM
    In our system, 80% of voters did NOT support the Wynn majority, yet she officially has a majority. Only 52% of voters showed up and Wynn received 39% of those votes, with the Tories second at 26%.

Since when does the majority of voters know what they are doing or even make a wise choice?

The premier oozes competence and has a strong agenda. Likewise, the mayor has specific measured accomplishments.

I'm voting for Mayor Ford because of his accomplishments, especially while ill, and also as a vote against the human rights abuses the mayor endured , to protest against the bully press and to vote against the unfair use of police applications for warrants and the chief's remarkably scandalous and unfair statements.

I'm standing up for democracy.
    1. tanjo posted on 07/04/2014 12:51 PM
      @frank Good for you. I am sure Olivia will thank you.

I am going to vote for the mayor that is most likely to be able to advance a fiscally responsible agenda.
    2. Mike posted on 07/04/2014 02:09 PM
      @frank he has no accomplishments! it's an illusion and you're buying in to it.
      this city is worse in so many ways. he accomplished dividing it.
      I sure hope you're not a parent if you plan on putting an X beside his name and if you have kids that tells me you're ok with drunk driving.
      shame on you.
    3. Pretzelz posted on 07/04/2014 02:17 PM
      @frank How much of this success can be credited to Doug Holyday (sensitive tasks) / Mike Del Grande (tedious tasks.)?

I'd give them much more credit.
      Rob Ford's experience is more on shown during his attempt to win the Casino debate.
    4. MER1978 posted on 07/04/2014 02:33 PM
      @frank It's fun to pretend that you can assume what people who chose not to vote think.
    5. dama posted on 07/04/2014 03:55 PM
      @Pretzelz I agree that Rob Ford early success were attributed to Doug Holyday and Michael Del Grande, doesn't that proved that Rob Ford's appointment of Doug Holyday to deputy mayor and Michael as budget chief was spot on?

and all that was before his drug and other scandals, proved that Rob Ford can rely on his chair person to do their jobs..
    6. tanjo posted on 07/04/2014 04:47 PM
      @dama Glad you brought that up. I have a theory. I believe it was Holyday, Del Grande, Di Giorgio and a few others that actually convinced Rob Ford to run for mayor. Ford was the perfect front man: extremely likeable, with a genuine interst in improving the city, a proven track record of helping people on a one-to-one basis ... and absolutely no interest in the behind-the-scenes work involved in building consensus and running the city.

It worked great for the first year-and-a-half or so.

Then he got on his subway rant, and the fiscal conservatives (which Ford is NOT) cringed. They know they had to outwardly support him, but there was no longer the motivation to lobby other councillors to their side. In effect, they knew the plan was too expensive and wanted it to fail.

I suspect they knew it was only a matter of time before Ford went off the deep end and they knew it was coming.

Where it SHOULD have ended was the Conflict of Interest Scandal. He was found guilty, everyone pretty much admitted that he was guilty but said he shouldn't be removed from office. They could comfortably curse the draconian law and Holyday prepared to reluctantly take of the reigns of the city until Ford could run again in two years.

Then some idiot judge granted his appeal.

From then on there was no controlling Ford, who took that to mean he could do and say anything, anywhere, without fear of repurcussions. Those that put him in power and propped him up lost complete control. The administration was spiralling downhill.

Holyday finally had enough, and removed himself from the situation. I cannot believe someone of his stature would have left the deputy mayor office to become Hudak's T.O. Poster Child, but again in theory, there were extenuating circumstances.

Think about how quickly, after Holyday left, things fell apart, from a downward spiral to a full-fledged nosedive.

I need to stop now before I go on almost as long as Karl. But again, and I iterate this is all theoretical, but with large amount of observation and though put behind it, I don't think it was Ford that put Holyday, Del Grande, etc. in place at all, but the other way around.
  3. tanjo posted on 07/04/2014 12:59 PM
    An intriguing possbility: What if the freshly available Doug Holyday threw his hat in the ring?

Some of us would argue that he was the mastermind behind Rob Ford's sucesses. Might be tad too conservative, but I can live with that.

I don't think he was electable in 2010, but I think his city-wide reputation is much stronger now.

He is an experienced mayor and has proven he can work with council.

Just saying.
    1. dama posted on 07/04/2014 02:08 PM
      @tanjo It is a possibility that might be fruitful for Doug Holyday bur he did say he is "retiring" from politic after his defeat... that would really throw this race out of whack..

Regarding the poll, I think it is too soon(after 4 days upon his return) to have an accurate poll.. the consensus is that Rob Ford HAD not change, so this poll is meaninless..

Do the poll in a month and if he keeps clean, I bet he will be more than 26%
  4. Karl Burgin posted on 07/04/2014 03:01 PM
    FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS
    1. Withnail posted on 07/04/2014 06:28 PM
      @Karl Burgin Very funny Rob. (Karl)
  5. Doug Ford posted on 07/04/2014 03:16 PM
    Friends, when I say stuff like the man should “go to hell” and accuse him of being part of a “jihad” to the father of an autistic son it really causes Rob to hit the bottle. He tells me that it's the reason why people hate us. Of course this was reported in The Star so it's all lies...but could Rob be right? When I speak the truth do the voters really listen and think I'm an idiot? What do you think?...parents of autistic kids should go to hell...Yes?
  6. Withnail posted on 07/04/2014 06:25 PM
    Rob and Doug Ford are playing out their last act. Soon, they will be gone and we can all relax and move forward. Impossible for him to be reelected. Enjoy the circus for the summer.
  7. I sense that posted on 07/04/2014 10:19 PM
    I sense that Rob and Doug Ford are the greatest con artists this city has ever seen.

School starts on Tuesday, are you looking forward to sending the little ones back to class?