NEWS
 
Israel accepts cease-fire proposal, Hamas rejects it
The Egyptian proposal was turned down by Hamas, and Israel warns they will strike Gaza harder
3 0
(Photo: AFP)

Hamas rejected an Egyptian proposal for a cease-fire with Israel on Tuesday, moments after the Israeli Cabinet accepted the plan, throwing into disarray international efforts to end a week of fighting that has killed 192 Palestinians and exposed millions of Israelis to Hamas rocket fire.

A senior Israeli government official warned that Israel would strike Gaza even harder if Hamas does not accept the truce.

Israel has carried out hundreds of air strikes against targets in Gaza in the past week and amassed troops on the border of the coastal strip, but has so far refrained from a ground offensive that could quickly drive up the casualty count on both sides.

The Egyptian cease-fire offer, which was presented late Monday, called for a halt of hostilities as of Tuesday morning, followed by negotiations on easing the closure of Gaza's borders _ a closure that has been enforced by both Israel and Egypt to varying degrees since Hamas seized the territory in 2007.

A group of senior Israeli Cabinet ministers accepted the offer on Tuesday, according to a statement by the office of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. A senior government official told The Associated Press after the announcement that Israel would step up its military offensive if Hamas rejects the offer.

``As you know, the Cabinet has accepted the Egyptian proposal. If Hamas rejects it, Israel will continue and intensify its operations and Hamas will find itself totally isolated, including in the Arab world, which supports the proposal,'' said the official, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to the media.

In Gaza, Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said the Egyptian proposal was ``not acceptable.'' The military wing of Hamas, Izzedine al-Qassam, said in a statement on the Hamas website that the proposal ``does not deserve the ink it was written with.''

Hamas officials are weary of promises by Egypt and Israel to ease the border blockade. Such promises were also part of a truce that ended more than a week of fighting in 2012, but were quickly broken as violence flared again.

``It's not logical to ask people who are under aggression to cease fire and then later to negotiate terms that were not respected in the past by the Israelis,'' he said, referring to the 2012 truce.

Categories:

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. john posted on 07/15/2014 11:23 AM
    so much for the the peaces treaty ! praise the lord and pass the ammo .
  2. arthur posted on 07/15/2014 11:37 AM
    the last place i would go on vacation is Israel. anywhere in the middle east i wouldn't step foot in. religion guns and crazies. bad mix. i wouldn't go for free
  3. john posted on 07/15/2014 12:33 PM
    thay really need to give up on this pieces thing it is never going happen . why are we wasting our time trying to stop it . the day piece will happen down there would be the day the leafs win the cup .
showing all comments

@NEWSTALK1010

Facebook

DON'T MISS

IN-DEPTH AND INTERACTIVE

MISSED THE SHOW? DON'T MISS THIS!

Aaron Waxman & Associates present the 4th annual IN-DEPTH AND INTERACTIVE -- if you missed the show, DON'T WORRY. You can check out video and pics RIGHT HERE

NEWS ALERTS

STAY CONNECTED

Sign up for out Breaking News Alerts and receive up-to-the-minute coverage of the top stories of the day

 
3 0
(Photo: AFP)

Hamas rejected an Egyptian proposal for a cease-fire with Israel on Tuesday, moments after the Israeli Cabinet accepted the plan, throwing into disarray international efforts to end a week of fighting that has killed 192 Palestinians and exposed millions of Israelis to Hamas rocket fire.

A senior Israeli government official warned that Israel would strike Gaza even harder if Hamas does not accept the truce.

Israel has carried out hundreds of air strikes against targets in Gaza in the past week and amassed troops on the border of the coastal strip, but has so far refrained from a ground offensive that could quickly drive up the casualty count on both sides.

The Egyptian cease-fire offer, which was presented late Monday, called for a halt of hostilities as of Tuesday morning, followed by negotiations on easing the closure of Gaza's borders _ a closure that has been enforced by both Israel and Egypt to varying degrees since Hamas seized the territory in 2007.

A group of senior Israeli Cabinet ministers accepted the offer on Tuesday, according to a statement by the office of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. A senior government official told The Associated Press after the announcement that Israel would step up its military offensive if Hamas rejects the offer.

``As you know, the Cabinet has accepted the Egyptian proposal. If Hamas rejects it, Israel will continue and intensify its operations and Hamas will find itself totally isolated, including in the Arab world, which supports the proposal,'' said the official, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to the media.

In Gaza, Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said the Egyptian proposal was ``not acceptable.'' The military wing of Hamas, Izzedine al-Qassam, said in a statement on the Hamas website that the proposal ``does not deserve the ink it was written with.''

Hamas officials are weary of promises by Egypt and Israel to ease the border blockade. Such promises were also part of a truce that ended more than a week of fighting in 2012, but were quickly broken as violence flared again.

``It's not logical to ask people who are under aggression to cease fire and then later to negotiate terms that were not respected in the past by the Israelis,'' he said, referring to the 2012 truce.

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. john posted on 07/15/2014 11:23 AM
    so much for the the peaces treaty ! praise the lord and pass the ammo .
  2. arthur posted on 07/15/2014 11:37 AM
    the last place i would go on vacation is Israel. anywhere in the middle east i wouldn't step foot in. religion guns and crazies. bad mix. i wouldn't go for free
  3. john posted on 07/15/2014 12:33 PM
    thay really need to give up on this pieces thing it is never going happen . why are we wasting our time trying to stop it . the day piece will happen down there would be the day the leafs win the cup .
showing all comments

Top stories

Says it listened to client feedback

Poll

Doctors say only 26 of the 500 people who offered their liver to Sens owner Eugene Melnyk would donate to someone else. What do you think about that?

Voting is restricted to one vote every 24 hours 24 hour(s) VoteResults