Quebec mayor dies after being stung by wasps

Lucie Roussel had been stung about 15 times on Sunday, and died.

Loucie F. Roussel died after being stung repeatedly by wasps on Sunday
(Handout)

Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard is among those offering condolences following the death of a Montreal-area mayor.

The mayor of La Prairie died Sunday after being stung repeatedly by wasps.

Municipal officials say Lucie F. Roussel died in hospital after being stung while gardening at her cottage in Statford, about 200 kilometres east of Montreal.

Town spokeswoman Chantal Charron says the 51-year-old mayor was not allergic to wasp stings, but it's believed she was stung on the legs about 15 times. Charron says ambulance technicians arrived too late to save her.

Dr. Mitch Shulman, a Montreal emergency medicine specialist, says 15 venomous insects striking at about the same time amounts to a ``tremendous amount of venom.''

Flags on municipal buildings in La Prairie flew at half-mast yesterday.

Roussel had two adult children, aged 18 and 19.

1. Karl Burgin posted on 07/22/2014 09:55 AM
    Gah....poor lady.
    ....Montreal just can't get a break when it comes to mayors.
    1. Karl's Landlord posted on 07/23/2014 09:41 AM
      @Karl Burgin Why must you post on everything ... and be wrong every time?

La Prairie is a little town across the river from Montreal - it is NOT Montreal.

Never mind ... you probably think that Windsor is a suburb of Detroit.

BTW - you're still 2 months behind in your basement rent.
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 07/23/2014 09:46 AM
      @Karl's Landlord Definition of Cyberstalking:
      It is generally understood to be the use of the Internet or other electronic means to stalk or harass an individual, a group, or an organization.
      Cyberstalking is a criminal offense under various state anti-stalking, slander, and harassment laws. A conviction can result in a restraining order, probation, or criminal penalties against the assailant, including jail.
    3. Karl's Landlord posted on 07/23/2014 09:57 AM
      @Karl Burgin And your point is ... ??
    4. Karl Burgin posted on 07/23/2014 10:19 AM
      @Karl's Landlord There are a bunch of people that holds the same views as I do. And yet I don't see you going through the forums and being a nuisance to them- with the cheap insults, altering their ID as yours as a superior role (except maybe for john with the 'john's mom, or 'john's dad').
      There's ANGRY BILL, TANJO, FRANKIE, PETER, sometimes ALEX, and more. Yet you never seem to go after them- maybe rarely here or there. But you're always fixated on me for some reason.
      You pore through all my comments, not in the interest of having a debate on the issue, or even contribute anything meaningful.
      But instead you try to data-mine whatever little tidbits of my real life, in some bizarre attempt to profile me. To what end I don't know.
      And don't tell me its not true. I know you went on LinkedIn searching for my name. That's how you came up with the fact that I worked at Compaq. Sorry, but that was an abandoned profile I used when I was first thinking of joining LinkedIn. But then you go farther than that. You try piece together where I work, where I live, and so on. And if in some cases you're not successful, you then come up with this ridiculous back stories or fantasies where you pretend to be my brain, my landlord, my family.
      And also, what I've noticed is that I don't see a peep from you unless I post something. I could go a week on vacation and never post a comment here, and you're silent. The moment I come back and comment, you're there ready to go to harass me again.

As I've said donny, you are capable of meaningful debate if you put your mind to it, and I welcome it whenever you're ready. But the trash-can talk, the swearing, racial slurs, the fake ID, and cyberstalking is really distasteful. And I hope at some point you grow out of it.

So I'm hoping posting the definition of cyberstalking will help clarify things. That's my point.
    5. Karl Burgin posted on 07/23/2014 10:19 AM
      @Karl's Landlord ...and you are right, she's not the mayor of Montreal. I did not read the article properly. I apologize.
  2. john posted on 07/22/2014 02:25 PM
    one down more to follow .
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 07/23/2014 09:19 AM
      @john Chow should try her hand at becoming mayor of Montreal

When you ride the subway, to leave a station do you take the elevator, the escalator or the stairs?