NEWS

Four Toronto companies fined for breaking Do-Not-Call rules
The companies have paid $84,000 after being found in violation by the CRTC...
7 0

Four Toronto-area companies have paid $84,000 in penalties for allegedly violating telemarketing rules by calling people registered on the National Do Not Call List, Canada's telecom regulator said Wednesday.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission said the companies; Ecosmart Home Services Inc., Loyal Seal Windows and Doors, Home Comfort Group and Pegasus Peaks, called people directly or through a third-party firm.

As part of settlements, the companies have also agreed to end their current telemarketing practices and ensure future compliance with the law, the federal agency said.

The CRTC said it has also issued a notice of violation to a fifth company, Action Windows and Doors, along with a $24,000 penalty.

``We are committed to ensuring that telemarketers respect the wishes of Canadians who do not want to be bothered by unsolicited calls,'' said Manon Bombardier, chief compliance and enforcement officer at CRTC.

More than 12 million people are registered on the National Do Not Call List, which was launched in 2008.

To date, the agency says its enforcement actions have yielded more than $4 million in administrative monetary penalties and $741,000 in other payments.

``The CRTC is continuing to enhance its monitoring to ensure telemarketers follow the Unsolicited Telecommunications Rules and to reduce the number of unwanted calls to Canadians,'' the agency said.

A new anti-spam law aimed at restricting other types of unsolicited messages,  by email, text messages or other electronic means, also went into effect this month.

Categories:

1. Mark7 posted on 07/23/2014 02:48 PM
    Bravo! Good show! It is fantastic to see the scum of the earth solicitors get what they justly deserve.

My home gets an average of 6 calls from these insufferable pricks daily! The reason I have never opted for the do not call feature is it costs money. It should be a FREE service. So what I do now is this. When they call me I simply put down the phone while leaving the line open, not saying a word. Low and behold a minute later there is a busy signal. haha It is my way of saying to them this...You just wasted some of my time so I returned the favour. Give it a try sometime. It is quite a satisfying thing to do.
    1. Suz58 posted on 07/23/2014 03:43 PM
      @Mark7 Yes, I do agree the do not call list should be free.
      All winter I received calls for duct cleaning. They would tell me that they were in the area and their office was in town, when I asked where the office was, they told me, I checked the address and no such address existed.
      I think the worst one is the one where they call you saying they work for Microsoft. I have a couple of ways of handling them since all they want is to get remote access to your computer. Last time I told them that I worked for Microsoft and they promptly hung up.
      Very annoying to say the least!
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 07/23/2014 04:35 PM
      @Suz58 I'm in IT and always recommend that you ask the telemarketer to hold after getting their company name...they'll hang up eventually and take your number off their list.

The worst thing you can do is hang up or be rude, they'll keep calling just to get even.
    3. phil posted on 07/23/2014 05:23 PM
      @Suz58 I can't understand where either of you got the idea the DNC list costs money. It's free and always has been. https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/insnum-regnum-eng
    4. Suz58 posted on 07/23/2014 05:34 PM
      @phil Thanks Phil and Karl. Will check it out. To be honest, I did not even know there was one number you could call to be on a DNC list. Will definitely check it out!
      Thank you!
    5. West Gta posted on 07/23/2014 05:41 PM
      @Mark7 The government's Do Not Call registry IS FREE.

There is no charge to add your phone numbers to the list.
  2. HP posted on 07/23/2014 02:57 PM
    Good to see that they're taking action, however, why are they picking on small companies just trying to earn a living? I get multiple calls from telemarketers with Indian accents, obviously calling from off shore locations, newspaper groups asking me to suscribe, offers for free trips to take surveys, time-share sales, duct cleaning, ...and dozens more that I report on the government web site. I've got my cell phones on the list but they call those numbers as well.They all call but the poor guy trying to sell a few windows gets fined...maybe forced to shut down.

There's some irony there.

DON'T MISS

AIRPORT TUNNEL

WATCH: NEWSTALK 1010 contest winner is first through airport tunnel

Joel MacCharles, winner of the NEWSTALK 1010 'Be the First' contest makes history before jet-setting to NYC!

NEWS ALERTS

STAY CONNECTED

Sign up for out Breaking News Alerts and receive up-to-the-minute coverage of the top stories of the day

7 0

1. Mark7 posted on 07/23/2014 02:48 PM

1. Suz58 posted on 07/23/2014 03:43 PM
      @Mark7 Yes, I do agree the do not call list should be free.
      Very annoying to say the least!
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 07/23/2014 04:35 PM

3. phil posted on 07/23/2014 05:23 PM
    4. Suz58 posted on 07/23/2014 05:34 PM
      Thank you!
    5. West Gta posted on 07/23/2014 05:41 PM
      @Mark7 The government's Do Not Call registry IS FREE.

There is no charge to add your phone numbers to the list.
  2. HP posted on 07/23/2014 02:57 PM

There's some irony there.