News

 

Councillor Ford threatens legal action against Globe and Mail

The Ford family fires back after the Globe publishes allegations the Fords opened City Hall doors for a client of the family business

City councillor Doug Ford. (file photo)
Photo: James Moore/NEWSTALK 1010

Councillor Doug Ford says he is considering taking the Globe and Mail to court.

Mayor Ford's brother and campaign manager is firing back at the newspaper after it published allegations the Fords tried to help a client of the family's label company land printing contracts at City Hall.

While Councillor Ford admits the Ford's business, Deco Labels and Tags, has done work for US printer RR Donnelley, he says he has never lobbied for them.

With the help of Mayor Ford and his staff, meetings were set up between officials at Donnelley and senior City Hall bureaucrats.

Donnelley did not win contracts from the City but Toronto's public service watchdog is investigating, after the Globe's initial report on the matter last month sparked several complaints from the public.

When asked on Monday, Mayor Ford said he was unsure whether RR Donnelley was, in fact, a client of Deco Labels.

Mayor Ford later released a written statement denying he did any lobbying of City officials on Donnelley's behalf.

The Ford brothers insist they were doing nothing more than looking to get City Hall a better deal on printing services.

"We had that meeting to save millions of dollars for the taxpayers," Councillor Ford said.

Municipal lawyer John Mascarin does not believe that explanation will hold water with City Hall's Integrity Commissioner.

"You might have the public interest at heart but there is still an apprehension of bias." he says.

"Most municipal codes of conduct seek to preclude wearing 2 hats at the same time and in my view, that seems to have been done ... by the Brothers Ford."

It is not clear whether the Integrity Commissioner will report her findings on the allegations before October's municipal election.

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
Comment Like
  • 20
  1. Just me posted on 07/28/2014 07:46 PM
    What a maroon!
    1. When is Doug posted on 07/28/2014 08:08 PM
      @Just me When is Doug and Rob going to publicly apologize to the Toronto Star reporters they both knowingly slandered?
    2. dama posted on 07/29/2014 03:21 PM
  2. The heading says posted on 07/28/2014 08:07 PM
    The heading says it all. "Councillor Doug Ford says he is considering taking the Globe and Mail to court."

    Just more calculated bs from the Fords. Why don't you just 'do it' Doug and Rob instead of making the big suggestion to try and sway public opinion then nothing happens.

    Ask your brother Rob how the war against Kuwait going?

    Remember this:
    ‘You Guys Have Just Attacked Kuwait’: Rob Ford Compares Toronto City Council to Saddam’s Iraq
  3. Here is something posted on 07/28/2014 08:30 PM
    Here is something we are hearing more and more and more:

    The Mayor Is Not Taking Questions.

    What a farce this guy is.
  4. Karl Burgin posted on 07/29/2014 08:17 AM
    FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS
  5. Mike from the hinterland posted on 07/29/2014 09:08 AM
    The city integrity commissioner also known as the retired milk monitor from elementary school and the hall monitor from high school are at it again! Can you believe, this ! What a waste of tax payers money! What a bunch of tattle tales, liar liar your pants are on fire and ring around the Rosie pocket full of posie! What an elementary school the Republic of Toronto's council is. Please intervene and cut the size of council in half! Then we will not have these child hood antics!

    No wonder we have these antics, the Fords and the other pant load councillors do not read their city handbooks on ethics or conflict of interest rules. As my late Grandmother says, "all politicians are in it until there pockets are full!"
    1. tanjo posted on 07/29/2014 04:26 PM
      @Mike from the hinterland When you look at it, a lot of the problems go back to amalgamation: an unmanageable number of councillors; lack of co-ordination between services; the constant fight for attention between downtown and the "boroughs".

      Maybe we should consider de-amalgamating.
  6. arthur posted on 07/29/2014 10:17 AM
    i'm still waiting for legal action against the bartender or the server at the bar on the esplanade or against his former staff. one big family of dcks that we now know have been greasing their own pockets trying to get sweet deals for friends in business
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 07/29/2014 10:36 AM
      @arthur That's been over and done with for a couple months now.
      The Rob Ford win still stands....
  7. Karl Burgin posted on 07/29/2014 10:34 AM
    The Globe and Mail, and the Star are desperate here. They couldn't shake the support with the legions of stories written about his personal life. So now they go after the business aspect of it.

    I first heard the Globe and Mail reporter roughly a month ago in an interview concerning this story. He doesn't conclude anything concrete that there is a conflict of interest afoot- but just paints a pretty picture. This interview was on AM640 with Bill Carroll. Even after trying to get a definite answer out of the reporter, all he concludes that it is his job to expose what might possibly be there,
    Fast forward to yesterday when this story broke. Again on AM640, Jeff McArthur interviewed the Star's Robyn Dolittle. Of course she shares the same headlines as the Globe and Mail, but also fails to answer any questions that concretely shows the Fords doing anything wrong. And most of her answers sound heavily lawyered up.

    Now with the the integrity commissioner looking into this, and the Ford brothers looking as though they will press charges for illegally obtained information from their Deco labels business that got this ball rolling, here is the quandry that the comissioner faces, and why the media are VERY careful in their response to questions concerning the matter:

    1.> A fellow called in to respond to this yesterday who sounded much like a lawyer, and he mentioned this:
    Even IF a conflict-of-interest was to be had here, the commisioner would have a hard time applying any disciplinary action BECAUSE it seems as though the evidence to this matter was obtained illegally (i.e. ex-employers). With that said, she wouldn't be able to successfully rule against Rob/Doug Ford.
    Remember the Conflict-of-Interest bout last December when Ford almost lost his seat as mayor- but only won due to the fact that the way that entire process went was done improperly, and was outside of someone's jurisdiction (although I can't currently remember whos's)

    2.> This is not a story on an issue per se. This is a story based on the media pondering out aloud based on facts that may reveal nothing at all. The last thing they need is to be sued for slander by drawing conclusions which may be false- and damaged the Deco reputation.
    This is why you have members of both the Star and the Globe and Mail doing the dance of the seven veils on a tight-rope.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    In the end, this story really isn't going to grab a lot of people's attention (except for those of us here), because its a "Who Cares?' story. This is an attempt to try shake the foundation of Ford nation no doubt. But given the amount of calls after the Robyn Dolittle interview that expressed they don't seem to care, this is either going to fall by the wayside, or embolden the Rob Ford support even more.
    Whatever swing-vote in middle that might or might not support Rob Ford may be the only audience here. Those entrenched for or against Rob Ford, won't be bought or sold with this faux-story.
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 07/29/2014 10:37 AM
      @Karl Burgin ...and FYI:
      Jeff McArthur was in full agreement with this story and Dolittle, and is on the anti-Ford side of the fence for this story.
    2. The Star posted on 07/29/2014 11:22 AM
      @Karl Burgin The Star and the Globe have more credibility than the Ford family.
      You are desperate.
    3. Karl Burgin posted on 07/29/2014 11:35 AM
      @The Star Desperate about what?....Rob Ford is still doing fine- despite what you'd like to believe.
      I know however it must drive you bonkers that Ford is still in a near three-way tie with Chow and Tory.....

      And ts so funny, you bypass all that I've written, to let me know I'm desperate. I am quite confident my friend. And listening to the reasoning behind this latest faux-scandal only shows the media is grabbing at straws- trying ANYTHING to bring this man down.
      Wait and see in the coming weeks...and when the dust settles, I will either be waiting for a confirmation that I was right, or I will be offering my apologies that I was wrong. But I'm pretty sure I'm right on this one.

      ...oh, and BTW. The Enquirer and TMZ combined has more credibility than the Toronto Star. With the Globe and Mail not to far behind.
    4. Of course posted on 07/29/2014 11:41 AM
      @Karl Burgin Of course you come out with nonsense because you have an abnormal fondness for a person of questionable character.
      In other words you're not all there. Karl.

      Btw...what is your favourite Rob Ford or family Ford lie?
    5. Karl Burgin posted on 07/29/2014 11:52 AM
      @Of course Guy....are you even going to bother counter to the argument I provided...
      ..or are you going to continue deflecting and personally attack me. Which is kinda funny because you think its supposed to bother me.
      Trust me, you're not the first....but I am getting of the kindergarten tactics- where I make an argument, and the response is to name-call....
    6. john posted on 07/29/2014 03:19 PM
      @Of course jealous are we . ?
    7. dama posted on 07/29/2014 03:29 PM
      @Karl Burgin Are you taking company's time to write this long post ??? lol

      all I can say is:: without the Ford brothers, print media will be boring and slow.. Newstalk 101 forum will be slow..

      see what Rob and Doug generates whenever they open their mouths. .. everyone including Ford haters are listening even tho it is
      all gibberish..

      Post counts 54 and counting.. lol


      Look at the post counts on every Ford head lines.. WE are posting about it.. Just love it..
    8. Suz58 posted on 07/29/2014 03:32 PM
      @Karl Burgin You are an incredible idiot, to continue to support what is being proven to be a criminal enterprise. The Fords have shown nothing but contempt for the rsidents of Toronto, and if you actually lived there you would fell incredibly dirty.

      Shame, Shame, Shame on you, a despicable bastard...I don't live in Toronto either, but at least I have the pride and matutity to support the poor Toronto residents who are being held hostage by these clowns.

      You are a retard and need to grow up.
  8. Bunch of maggots posted on 07/29/2014 11:07 AM
    Lies My FORDer Told Me.

    May 26:
    “Bunch of maggots. No matter what you say… you’re never going to make them happy.”
    Ford on his radio show while continuing to lie about the existence of a video showing him smoking crack.
showing all comments

Your GTA

Sign Up For Breaking News Alerts

Becoming a member only takes 60 seconds! Members get access to exclusive information and products that non-members do not, including concert ticket presales, trips, advance notice on upcoming entertainment events, movie screening passes, music giveaways and more!

Login with Facebook

Stay connected 24/7! Receive breaking news and programming alerts right to your inbox. CLICK HERE to sign-up.

Today's Poll

How will the Toronto Raptors do this season?

Voting is restricted to one vote every 24 hour(s) VoteResults

Top Stories

Facebook

Twitter