NEWS

Hyundai recalling 883,000 Sonatas
Gear shift levers can malfunction putting vehicles out of correct gear.
7 0

Hyundai is recalling its popular Sonata midsize sedan to fix problems with the gear shift levers.

The recall covers 883,000 cars from the 2011 through 2014 model years.

The Korean automaker says the automatic transmission shift cable can separate from the shift lever. If that happens, the lever may not show the correct gear, increasing the risk of a crash.

Also, if the driver stops the car and puts the transmission in "park," the car may still be in gear and could roll away, injuring drivers, passengers or bystanders, Hyundai said in documents posted Wednesday by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Other symptoms include an inability to start the car because it can't be shifted into park.

Hyundai has received 1,171 warranty claims about the problem, plus seven other reports with related symptoms. The documents don't say if there have been any crashes or injuries. The Sonatas being recalled were made from Dec. 11, 2009 through May 29, 2014.

The Sonata is Hyundai's second-best-selling car in the U.S. so far this year. First is the compact Elantra.

Hyundai will notify owners by letter between now and the end of September. Dealers will inspect the shift cables and repair the connection if needed.

Owners with questions can call Hyundai customer service at (800) 633-5151.

1. Karl Burgin posted on 07/30/2014 03:44 PM
    ...and so it continues.
    Gonna get me a car from the 90s.
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 07/30/2014 04:17 PM
      @Karl Burgin FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS

Never buy a GM...they're pure crap.
    2. Jim posted on 07/30/2014 04:23 PM
      @Karl Burgin THERE you are. Would the real Karl Burgin please stand up? (and press charges for cyberstalking)
    3. Karl Burgin posted on 07/30/2014 04:30 PM
      @Jim Yep...he's here. Though I wasn't expecting him to come here.

Anyways, what does it matter. So Jim, about that lawyer... ;p
  2. Jim posted on 07/30/2014 04:36 PM
    Members of this comment section will be happy to know that I have contacted my attorney and wil be suing myself for gross stupiity, ignorance, and for being a moron. I am asking the court to make me pay $1 billion to myself for being an idiot and hope for a leniant sentence, maybe 1000 hours of community service and house arrest for making threats, just like the criminal Karl Burgin who threatened posters on this board with pysical violance. He actually thretened to beat people senseless just like his hero Robby Ford did on those videos.

Anyway, I'm off to turn myself in to the police and hope to be out on bail because I'm a little boy who needs to grow up. No more crying in the schoolyard for this kid.
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 07/30/2014 04:43 PM
      @Jim ***yawn***
    2. Jim posted on 07/30/2014 04:49 PM
      @Karl Burgin HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

DON'T MISS

PEOPLE'S VOICE AWARDS

HELP US VOTE FOR A WINNER!

Listen to the finalists in the PEOPLE'S VOICE AWARD contest and help us vote for the winner of $5,000 PLUS a guest spot on Moore in the Morning's Roundtable!

IN-DEPTH & INTERACTIVE

SIGN UP FOR THE NEWSLETTER TO GET PRESALE TICKETS!

TED RADIO HOUR

We've got a new show! Welcome to TED Radio Hour hosted by Guy Raz, Saturdays at 6pm and Sundays at 7pm

MILLARD TRIAL

Stories from the trial of Dellen Millard for the murder of Tim Bosma

7 0

The recall covers 883,000 cars from the 2011 through 2014 model years.

Owners with questions can call Hyundai customer service at (800) 633-5151.

1. Karl Burgin posted on 07/30/2014 03:44 PM
    ...and so it continues.
    Gonna get me a car from the 90s.
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 07/30/2014 04:17 PM

Never buy a GM...they're pure crap.
    2. Jim posted on 07/30/2014 04:23 PM
    3. Karl Burgin posted on 07/30/2014 04:30 PM
      @Jim Yep...he's here. Though I wasn't expecting him to come here.

Anyways, what does it matter. So Jim, about that lawyer... ;p