UPDATE: Contract of Police Chief Bill Blair not being renewed

The Toronto Police Services Board wouldn't give a reason why, only saying they are starting the search for a new chief...

Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair
Photo: CTV

Toronto will soon have a new police chief.

The Police Services Board announced on Wednesday, that they would not be renewing the contract of Bill Blair.

Blair has been at the helm of the force since 2005.

His last day will be on April 25th, 2015.

In a release, the Board says "Chief Blair has had a long and distinguished policing career with the Toronto Police Service. He is widely viewed as a champion of community policing and a leader in law enforcement around the world.

He has demonstrated his commitment to issues of human rights, diversity and integrity, among many others, and has served Toronto admirably and tirelessly.

There will be an opportunity in the months to come to offer Chief Blair a fitting tribute for his years of dedicated and honourable service to our community. At this time, on behalf of all Torontonians, the Board extends to Chief Blair our sincere gratitude for his outstanding record of public service and inspiring leadership.

The Board will now begin to take the necessary steps as we embark on the open search for the next Chief of Police for the City of Toronto.

Torontonians will be kept informed as those steps are finalized. Today is a day to say “thank you” to Chief Blair."

Chief Blair had come under fire for two things especially. First for his handling of security at the G20 summit, and secondly for speaking out about his disappointment in the Mayor, when he revealed they'd seized the infamous 'crack video'.

1. Next stop: Dead cops posted on 07/30/2014 02:05 PM
    Here's what's going to happen:

In deference to public opinion, the next police chief will begin their tenure with a big dramatic announcement that "No police officer will ever kill a civilian again!" Criminals are going to get more bold and aggressive, knowing the police are even more limited in how far they can go to maintain order, and we're going to see a lot of dead cops.

It's going to be a tragic waste of lives, each of them more valuable than ten Sammy Yatims put together, and all because you assholes can't understand how difficult and dangerous police work really is.

I'm ashamed of you all, and I hope that there's never again a police officer nearby when you need help.
    1. That's probably posted on 07/30/2014 02:11 PM
      @Next stop: Dead cops That's probably the real reason. The subway shooting.
      Not that other idiot they call 'the mayor'.
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 07/30/2014 02:11 PM
      @Next stop: Dead cops I'm pretty sure the G8 Summit debacle had a hand to play in it as well. Even though I wouldn't squarely place the rogue police conduct on Blair's head.

Blair overall is a good police chief- with some slip-ups. But then again, he's been chief for 10 years. So he has been successful in that regard.
      I can only wish him well in his future endeavors.
    3. Karl Burgin posted on 07/30/2014 02:17 PM
      @Karl Burgin Correction:
      G8 = G20
    4. frank posted on 07/30/2014 04:02 PM
      @Next stop: Dead cops Not so. Police have full public support to shoot armed and dangerous persons who threaten police or anyone. Not only did that not happen here, as no one was at risk, it seems very unlikely that rank and file officers in any way support the shooting of this teen.

Each year people die while being arrested and/or while in crisis and not posing a real threat to anyone. Those are the deaths the public wants prevented. That's a fair expectation.
    5. dama posted on 07/30/2014 04:13 PM
      @Next stop: Dead cops The next Chief will be one that is not from old rank and file, it will be someone with more people skill and will act on the latest recommedations that was release last week.

More lives will not be wasted by "cowboy" officers, and you are painting a very negative scenario for the future of public safety and police policing..

Change is needed,. so the Police board will and should go for someone with knowledge of policing but not necessary a policeman from rank and file..
    6. Mark7 posted on 07/30/2014 04:16 PM
      @Next stop: Dead cops Perhaps the next Chief will respect our Bill of Rights and demilitarize the police. Blair should be in jail for what he did during the G20, perhaps that's why he didn't enforce the law when Rob Ford was endangering everyone that cared for him. Blair is a politician, not a law enforcement officer, very similar to that despot Julian Fantino.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.
    7. Next stop: Dead Cops posted on 07/30/2014 04:26 PM
      @dama "Someone with knowledge of policing but not necessary a policeman..."

So, someone with no practical experience in apprehending dangerous people is your pick to be in charge of the brave men and women responsible for keeping us safe? Someone who brings nothing to the job but theory? That's exactly how we're going to end up in the awful situation I outlined in my first comment.

I pray for the safety of all our police officers, because of idiots like you.
    8. dama posted on 07/30/2014 04:34 PM
      @Next stop: Dead Cops ahhhh.. resorted to name calling.... me an idiot.. I will refrain myself by calling you something else See I am already one up on you....also idiot like me does not kill cops.. for my thinking is more positive than your negative posts.. eh Dead Cop !!!

You think a company's CEO knows everything ? They dont.. they hire good people and delegate his responsibilities.. same as the police Chief.. so it is not necessary so to have someone that has 20 years as a cop and be the police chief for they will bring old school policing and hire cops like James Forcillo..

Clean sweep.. an opportunity to start from the top by even hiring a woman police chief..

I still maintain your view of dead cops is very negative..
  2. Karl Burgin posted on 07/30/2014 02:07 PM
    Well, well, well.... see how that "disappointed" comment comes back to bite him in the ass.
    The main reason for the firing has to be about Rob Ford. Which is why, to avoid the bad optics, he should have bumped whatever investigation up to the OPP.
    1. Your hero posted on 07/30/2014 02:09 PM
      @Karl Burgin Your hero should be the one gone.
      Pathetic. Crime wins again.
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 07/30/2014 02:14 PM
      @Your hero That depends on who the voters vote for- as it should be.
      If the voters vote Rob Ford out- then so be it. But I do have an issue with people trying to get Ford out before his term- especially when he hasn't done any damage to the mayor's office. Not unlike the cretin at Queens Park.

The same with Blair. Though I didn't see eye-to-eye with him, especially with this police investigation and the "disappointed" comment, he wasn't ousted before his time- which I am fine with.
    3. Number one posted on 07/30/2014 02:21 PM
      @Karl Burgin Number one who cares what you think and second since you don't live in Toronto you don't have a vote so why don't you focus on y our own city politics.
    4. Jim posted on 07/30/2014 02:55 PM
      @Karl Burgin Hi Karl; it looks like your cyberstalker is back. I had an informal chat with my lawyer; he says you definitely have a case to press charges against this guy. Play your cards right, and we might even get to see his face put up as part of a Newstalk article!
    5. Karl Burgin posted on 07/30/2014 03:29 PM
      @Jim No...he hasn't appeared yet.
      I'm sure he'll be hear shortly- unfortunately.

But yes, if they do an news cast on cyber-stalking, CFRB has a ton of examples on this forum.
    6. Suz58 posted on 07/31/2014 09:02 AM
      @Karl Burgin Do you guys know in fact who it is that is stalking? I have reported and emailed CFRB. Did some research and I believe it is called sock puppetry for what he is doing. Very annoying to say the least!
    7. Karl Burgin posted on 07/31/2014 09:11 AM
      @Suz58 Well apparently he's used your ID a few times to spout his garbage.
      I'm sure its sock puppetry, but what do you call it when he responds to his fake self with another fake ID- and then like it?

I know a severe form a narcissism would be somewhere in donny's diagnosis.
    8. Suz58 posted on 07/31/2014 09:27 AM
      @Karl Burgin I know Karl, as I said I have reported every one. As I did tell him in one post, legal action could be taken. I have not received a reply from here, but will just keep reporting every instance and keep emailing them with my complaints.

There is definitely some kind of psychological diagnosis to go with his issues.
    9. Great bogus conversation posted on 07/31/2014 09:35 AM
      @Suz58 Great bogus conversation the two of you are having. However you know that so much of the fake names comes from your own team. Bad language and nonsense that you can hit the report button and nothing happens.
      Bottom line is just because you put your name on this means nothing. You don't own it.

Ps. Love the 'informal conversation with my lawyer' comment.
    10. Cooz58 posted on 07/31/2014 09:42 AM
      @Great bogus conversation Me too! Jim is just the schoolyard crybaby who wants to think he's an adult. He needs his mommy.

Problem is that this isn't a forum, it's a comment section at a radio station site, yet a couple of users seem to think they own it.

More to follow
    11. Karl Burgin posted on 07/31/2014 09:43 AM
      @Great bogus conversation True, you don't own it.
      But it breaks down the integrity of the forum, and the fruitful spirit of debate.

There used to be a lot of good people here, before donny chased them out due to the relentless trolling.
      I am not intimidated- and refuse to be.

The point is, it doesn't matter what side of a debate you are on. Whoever comments still deserves some level of respect on decorum by and with the people they interact with in this setting. It is what makes forums like this work. And it is what organizations like CFRB have in mind, when they setup a forum like this so people can comment.

Once you start throwing civility out the window, and lowering the bar, then what's the point.
      As it stands now, this is where I have issues with the web admin here. They really should be paying attention to what's happening. And also familiarize themselves with the "regulars", so as to be able to separate the trolls from the rest.
      Or just force everyone to register- just to avoid this issue.
    12. Suz58 posted on 07/31/2014 09:49 AM
      @Karl Burgin I agree 100% Karl and that was my suggestion as well. Either everyone has a registered login or they do not comment.
    13. Suz58 posted on 07/31/2014 09:53 AM
      @Great bogus conversation Nothin bogus...do your research!
    14. The problem is posted on 07/31/2014 09:57 AM
      @Suz58 The problem is on both sides and by pretending it isn't makes you not credible either.
      So welcome to the wild west of comment boards and the home station doesn't seem to be too concerned with it.

It is what it is.
      But please stop the bogus 'I have called my lawyer' stuff because you look like a fool.
    15. Please.... posted on 07/31/2014 10:06 AM
      @Suz58 Please.....this is not a schoolyard.
      If you choose do do your 'fake conversation with your lawyer and your make belief authorities' then know that it will only be considered 'entertainment' for others

(I guess I don't respect you both for the reason you pretend you only have one direction happening with the fake posters..
    16. Suz58 posted on 07/31/2014 10:13 AM
      @Please.... What you lack in education and intelligence, you make up for in stupidity.

If you read the comments, please take the time and read up a few, I did not make the comment about contacting my lawyer.
      If that bothers you so much, maybe you should do your research. If you have something to say, say it in English and get to the point!

Yes, I do have a problem with someone posting comments in my name, anyone that wants to just post anonymously, fine, but just to let you know, we are discussing someone using our logins to post...as in Suz58.
    17. But you posted on 07/31/2014 10:26 AM
      @Suz58 But you and Karl show no concern when someone does it to a another person (whose message you don't agree with).

Anyway have fun and maybe we will watch you on Judge Judy.
    18. Suz58 posted on 07/31/2014 11:09 AM
      @But you Sorry to say, but again do your research! Karl and I have both supported others that it has happened to.

So really, do you even know what your argument is here?

Lol
  3. Are you kidding posted on 07/30/2014 02:08 PM
    "...for speaking out about his disappointment in the Mayor, when he revealed they'd seized the infamous 'crack video'"

Are you kidding us? It should have been the guy in the crack video gone, a long long time ago.
    1. arthur posted on 07/30/2014 02:38 PM
      @Are you kidding 3 months to go brother and he's gonzo! not to worry!
      what the dope says today in November of this year will mean as much as what Tim Hudak says today. nothing!
  4. More jokes posted on 07/30/2014 02:33 PM
    More jokes from the dope.

“I want to thank Chief Bill Blair for his service to the people of this great city for the last 10 years,” ~The worst mayor this city has ever seen, Rob Ford.
  5. arthur posted on 07/30/2014 02:35 PM
    just heard Rob Ford on the radio saying he looks forward to working with the new chief next April. haha...
    Rob your fat ass will be on the street looking for something to do by next April.
  6. KenUBelievit posted on 07/30/2014 02:40 PM
    Blair is probably not a bad guy. However he was bound by police code to defend the actions of his criminal cops. The G20 was so obvious to everyone that cops had gone haywire that his defence of those criminal cops showed the public that he was more concerned with serving and protecting bad cops then he was serving and protecting the public that depended on him to protect them from this kind of criminal behaviour.
    1. Part of the problem posted on 07/30/2014 02:52 PM
      @KenUBelievit People like you are part of the problem. Because of you, the next police chief is going to be more concerned with public opinion than public safety. Because of you, the next time a G20-like riot breaks out, police will be ordered to stand by and do nothing while anarchist scum rip the city apart, causing needless harm to innocent people.
    2. KenUBelievit posted on 07/30/2014 03:13 PM
      @Part of the problem The only riot I saw was a police riot. Please please have the cops stand by next time and we will have peaceful protest. In order to try to create a riot where one didn't exist they even left police cars abandon and open then had cops disguised as civilians lite it on fire.
    3. Karl Burgin posted on 07/30/2014 03:35 PM
      @KenUBelievit I also agree with you here.
      Blair was not necessarily a bad guy. Sometimes he was caught between a rock in a hard place, and sometimes was guilty of the "foot-in-mouth" syndrome- but these things do not necessarily label him as being a bad police chief.

The "rock in a hard place" analogy I'm referring to is the G20. This hot potato was thrown on his lap without proper planning. The blame there initially is within the walls of the federal government.
      And Blair did publicly tongue-lash his officers for their behavior. So it does show that the man has some class.

Nevertheless, Blair shouldn't fell too bad. He's be a chief for 10 years, and has had a successful career. Its just time to move on- and that's that.
    4. Karl Burgin posted on 07/30/2014 03:41 PM
      @Part of the problem There are ways of enforcing the law, without becoming like the thugs you're fighting against.
      Yatim was an innocent, and excessive needless harm was done to him. If there wasn't a video taken of the event, we wouldn't be hearing about it right now. You know, protect the blue line and all.

Some of the cops in Toronto are extraordinary. But unfortunately the ones that are trigger happy, kill themselves/cause accidents because they don't wear a seat belt while speeding, and do double-standard crap (like drive distracted when on their on-board laptop, while they penalize the rest of the populace for much less), detract from the work of the good cops.

A new chief overall would be good. And hopefully will be good enough in getting the house in order.
  7. billybob posted on 07/30/2014 03:16 PM
    Its about time........he and Miller had done more harm to this city than you and I know about.We need a SERPICO type of Police Chief. for this city. Not another Blair or Mc Cormack type of ...............man. heading up our police force.
    1. KenUBelievit posted on 07/30/2014 03:54 PM
      @billybob you're right we need a Serpico but the system doesn't allow Serpicos to make it to the top.
  8. Ron posted on 07/30/2014 04:01 PM
    The good things he's done far out weigh and outnumber his couple of missteps. He has a long career including the last 10 years as chief that he can be proud of.
    1. Dawn posted on 07/30/2014 07:19 PM
      @Ron Good hopefully Toronto Police will learn some math and not arrest people far away from the inside of Harper's G20 fence...
    2. Ron posted on 07/30/2014 09:40 PM
      @Dawn Look about you. Do you see anyone in your circle of friends, relatives or associates that could do his job? On second thought that may not be a fair question as you probably have no concept of what his job entails.
  9. Maybe they can posted on 07/30/2014 04:02 PM
    Maybe they can start checking out the 'crack cocaine' houses to complement the outgoing mayor.
  10. Karl Burgin posted on 07/30/2014 04:11 PM
    FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS FORD MORE YEARS

God I wish I could vote in Toronto
    1. Dean posted on 07/30/2014 04:28 PM
      @Karl Burgin Why's that Donny, is Dissociative Personality Disorder a serious enough mental illness that they don't let you vote?
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 07/30/2014 04:35 PM
      @Dean I'm not sure we'd be that lucky....
  11. Jim posted on 07/30/2014 05:09 PM
    Contrary to what many people think, I am not a crybaby and I'm not gay...I just sound and act that way. Perhaps when I grow up I'll be able to play in the adult sandbox.
  12. Shirtless Jogger posted on 07/30/2014 07:04 PM
    It is disturbing that the Chief of Police, one of the officials in charge of Rob Fords criminal investigation, is being turfed by a so-called neutral, non-politically motivated "Board". Transparency much, Ms Nunziata?
  13. Mark posted on 07/31/2014 07:26 AM
    In my opinion Blair is a thug, a liar, and under him cops have become more thuggish then ever before. Screw him and his band of violent thug cops.
    1. In my opinion posted on 07/31/2014 09:30 AM
      @Mark "...In my opinion Blair is a thug, a liar...,"~Mark
      That being the case I wonder if there is a place on Rob Fords team for him then?
  14. john posted on 07/31/2014 10:20 AM
    First for his handling of security at the G20 summit, was that not mc dick head who came up with the stupid law that u cant protest .
    1. Fact Checker posted on 07/31/2014 10:39 AM
      @john As usual you are wrong. The massive majority of the mess at the G20 was the result of federal government insistence by Mr. Harper - not provincial at all, john.
  15. john posted on 07/31/2014 10:25 AM
    listing to u guys slam this Chief made me think about this .
    what if the new one is just as bad or even worse then the one we got now .
  16. pete posted on 08/04/2014 10:15 AM
    Blair should be arrested and charged for multiple crimes during the G20. But who is going to do it. Union boss and charged drug dealer McCormick, or one of the hundreds of convicted criminals working as Toronto police today. This is a corrupt overpaid gang of thugs protecting crooked politicians. None of them care about you.

It's Halloween! Do you do anything special to mark the occasion?