Millions of people will converge for the 47th annual Scotiabank Caribbean Carnival this weekend. The parade is being held on Lakeshore Boulevard West on Saturday. Drive. The parade starts inside Exhibition Place at 9:30 a.m., and will proceed westbound on Lake Shore Boulevard West to Parkside Drive.
Driving around that area could prove to be difficult. Here are the closures:
These roads will be closed starting at 1:30 a.m. on Saturday, August 2, 2014:
- Westbound Lake Shore Boulevard West will be closed to traffic from Strachan Avenue to Parkside Drive
- Eastbound Lake Shore Boulevard West will be closed from Colborne Lodge to Strachan Avenue
- Dufferin Street south of Springhurst Avenue
The following Gardiner Expressway ramps will be closed at 12:30 a.m. on Saturday, August 2, 2014:
- Eastbound Gardiner Expressway exit to Jameson Avenue
- Jameson Avenue and British Columbia Road entrance ramps to eastbound Gardiner Expressway
- Westbound Gardiner Expressway to Dunn Avenue exit ramp
These city streets will also be restricted so that residents of the area, won't be disrupted. They are:
- Dufferin Street, south of King Street West
- Dowling Avenue, south of King Street West
- Stadium Road, south of Lake Shore Boulevard West
- Queen's Quay, west of Bathurst Street
- Springhurst Avenue, west of Jameson Avenue
- Springhurst Avenue, east of Jameson Avenue
The Caribbean Carnival always attracts huge crowds, and police are prepared to have intermittent road closures possibly take place throughout the downtown core in the evenings and nights of Friday, August 1, 2014 to Sunday, August 3, 2014, in the interest of public safety.
Click here for more information about the carnival and events taking place.