NEWS
 
Family of teen killed at 2013 Carnival hoping to raise funds
Rueshad Grant's family is being sued for funeral costs
0 0

The Toronto Star reports the family of 18-year-old man who died during last year's Caribbean Carnival parade is suing the organizers for negligence, but before that's settled, outstanding funeral costs must be covered.

On August 3 2013, Rueshad Grant of Mississauga suffered life-threatening injuries after he was dragged under a parade float trailer.  He died later in hospital.

Grant's family is pursuing a wrongful death claim against the carnival organizers and the driver of the float, but the family's lawyer believes the settlement could take another year or two.

For now, the family is hoping to raise $35,000 through an internet site to cover the funeral and headstone.  They're being sued by the funeral home for the outstanding costs.

A candlelight vigil will take place Sunday at Lakeshore Road and Dowling Avenue at 8pm.

Since the young man's death, Carnival spokesperson Stephen Weir says they've improved safety precautions.

Leave a comment:

· Subscribe to comments
Log in and be the first to comment!

DON'T MISS

PEOPLE'S VOICE AWARDS

HELP US VOTE FOR A WINNER!

Listen to the finalists in the PEOPLE'S VOICE AWARD contest and help us vote for the winner of $5,000 PLUS a guest spot on Moore in the Morning's Roundtable!

IN-DEPTH & INTERACTIVE

SIGN UP FOR THE NEWSLETTER TO GET PRESALE TICKETS!

TED RADIO HOUR

We've got a new show! Welcome to TED Radio Hour hosted by Guy Raz, Saturdays at 6pm and Sundays at 7pm

MILLARD TRIAL

Stories from the trial of Dellen Millard for the murder of Tim Bosma

 
0 0

The Toronto Star reports the family of 18-year-old man who died during last year's Caribbean Carnival parade is suing the organizers for negligence, but before that's settled, outstanding funeral costs must be covered.

On August 3 2013, Rueshad Grant of Mississauga suffered life-threatening injuries after he was dragged under a parade float trailer.  He died later in hospital.

Grant's family is pursuing a wrongful death claim against the carnival organizers and the driver of the float, but the family's lawyer believes the settlement could take another year or two.

For now, the family is hoping to raise $35,000 through an internet site to cover the funeral and headstone.  They're being sued by the funeral home for the outstanding costs.

A candlelight vigil will take place Sunday at Lakeshore Road and Dowling Avenue at 8pm.

Since the young man's death, Carnival spokesperson Stephen Weir says they've improved safety precautions.

Leave a comment:

· Subscribe to comments
Log in and be the first to comment!

Top stories

Increase blamed on mild winter