NEWS
 
Investigation reveals clogged dryer vent caused fatal fire in East Gwillimbury
Four people died from the house fire in March 2013.
0 0
Ontario Fire Marshal and Chief Ted Wieclawek

A dryer vent clogged with lint is what led to a fatal house fire in East Gwillimbury.

The fire took place on March 29, 2013 and left four people from the same family dead. The Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management announced the details from investigation on Wednesday.

They found that the clogged dryer was not installed as per dryer manufacturer’s instructions and the main floor of the home was not equipped with a smoke detector.

Volunteer fire fighters arrived at 72 Howard Avenue in Sharon 12 minutes after the 9-1-1 call.

Ontario Fire Marshal and Chief, Ted Wieclawek, says the late detection is what led to the grave outcome.

“Responding fire fighters were unable to conduct rescue or initiate immediate interior suppression activities given the delay in the discovery of the fire and the extreme fire conditions faced by fire fighters on arrival,” he said.

There was a working smoke detector on the second floor, but by the time it went off, Wieclawek said he believes the family was trapped.

Moving forward, he explained there will be evaluations of the province’s smoke alarm programs and home escape planning messaging.

Wieclawek added that, although volunteer fire fighters are trained to handle situations like this, there will be a push for automatic aid agreements. This means that the closest fire station would respond to an emergency call, despite the municipal boundaries.

Categories:

Leave a comment:

· Subscribe to comments
Log in and be the first to comment!

@NEWSTALK1010

Facebook

DON'T MISS

SICKKIDS

2 DAYS TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE

Tune in to NEWSTALK 1010 on May 30th and 31st from noon to 6pm and you can make a difference. Click here to see how you can help

IN-DEPTH AND INTERACTIVE

MISSED THE SHOW? DON'T MISS THIS!

Aaron Waxman & Associates present the 4th annual IN-DEPTH AND INTERACTIVE -- if you missed the show, DON'T WORRY. You can check out video and pics RIGHT HERE

NEWS ALERTS

STAY CONNECTED

Sign up for out Breaking News Alerts and receive up-to-the-minute coverage of the top stories of the day

 
0 0
Ontario Fire Marshal and Chief Ted Wieclawek

A dryer vent clogged with lint is what led to a fatal house fire in East Gwillimbury.

The fire took place on March 29, 2013 and left four people from the same family dead. The Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management announced the details from investigation on Wednesday.

They found that the clogged dryer was not installed as per dryer manufacturer’s instructions and the main floor of the home was not equipped with a smoke detector.

Volunteer fire fighters arrived at 72 Howard Avenue in Sharon 12 minutes after the 9-1-1 call.

Ontario Fire Marshal and Chief, Ted Wieclawek, says the late detection is what led to the grave outcome.

“Responding fire fighters were unable to conduct rescue or initiate immediate interior suppression activities given the delay in the discovery of the fire and the extreme fire conditions faced by fire fighters on arrival,” he said.

There was a working smoke detector on the second floor, but by the time it went off, Wieclawek said he believes the family was trapped.

Moving forward, he explained there will be evaluations of the province’s smoke alarm programs and home escape planning messaging.

Wieclawek added that, although volunteer fire fighters are trained to handle situations like this, there will be a push for automatic aid agreements. This means that the closest fire station would respond to an emergency call, despite the municipal boundaries.

Leave a comment:

· Subscribe to comments
Log in and be the first to comment!

Top stories

NXNE officials say they hope to have Bronson perform at a different, ticketed venue

Poll

Will you miss seeing Captain John's on Toronto's waterfront?

Voting is restricted to one vote every 24 hours 24 hour(s) VoteResults