Police use tear gas and smoke bombs on protesters in Ferguson

Two reporters from different publications claim they were arrested and released by police

Protests in the St. Louis suburb rocked by racial unrest since a white police officer shot an unarmed black teenager to death turned violent Wednesday night, with people lobbing molotov cocktails at police who responded with smoke bombs and tear gas to disperse the crowd.

Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson, who has been the public face of the city torn by Saturday's death of 18-year-old Michael Brown, told reporters earlier in the day that the St. Louis County investigation of the shooting could take weeks to complete. In the meantime, he said, his department welcomes Justice Department training on racial relations in the suburb, where two-thirds of the 21,000 residents are black while all but three of the police force's 53 officers are white.

``Unfortunately, an undertow (of racial unrest) has bubbled to the surface,'' said Jackson. ``Race relations is the top priority right now.''

While Jackson said he wanted to mend fences with the community, protesters were on the streets of Ferguson again Wednesday, facing heavily armed police who at time trained weapons on them from an armoured truck. Two reporters said they were detained by police while working at a McDonald's in the area.

And the situation became more tense after nightfall, with police ordering people to go home and then using smoke bombs and later tear gas after some people threw molotov cocktails at them.

Earlier, Wesley Lowery of The Washington Post and Ryan Reilly of The Huffington Post said they were handcuffed and put into a police van after officers came in to quickly clear the fast-food restaurant where they were doing some work. Watch the video above. The Post reported that Lowery said that at one point, he was slammed against a soda machine and plastic cuffs were put on his wrists. The reporters were subsequently released without any charges.

Martin D. Baron, the Post's executive editor, issued a statement saying ``there was absolutely no justification for his arrest'' and that the organization was appalled by the conduct of the officers involved.

Jackson did not immediately return a cellphone message Wednesday night from The Associated Press seeking comment.

Police have said the shooting happened after an officer encountered 18-year-old Michael Brown and another man on the street. They say one of the men pushed the officer into his squad car, then physically assaulted him in the vehicle and struggled with the officer over the officer's weapon. At least one shot was fired inside the car. The struggle then spilled onto the street, where Brown was shot multiple times. In their initial news conference about the shooting, police didn't specify whether Brown was the person who scuffled with the officer in the car and have refused to clarify their account.

Jackson said Wednesday that the officer involved sustained swelling facial injuries.

Dorian Johnson, who says he was with Brown when the shooting happened, has told a much different story. He has told media outlets that the officer ordered them out of the street, then tried to open his door so close to the men that it ``ricocheted'' back, apparently upsetting the officer. Johnson says the officer grabbed his friend's neck, then tried to pull him into the car before brandishing his weapon and firing. He says Brown started to run and the officer pursued him, firing multiple times. Johnson and another witness both say Brown was on the street with his hands raised when the officer fired at him repeatedly.

Some protesters Wednesday raised their arms above their heads as they faced the police. Others held signs asking for answers about Brown's death. The most popular chant has been, ``Hands up! Don't shoot!''

Brown's body remained on the street for hours _ a span Jackson deemed ``uncomfortable'' but justified, given that ``you only get one chance at that crime scene'' to process it correctly. Jackson said authorities also were concerned about gunfire they could hear in a nearby building.

In the shooting's aftermath, the notorious hacking collective Anonymous has taken credit for burrowing into the city website and shutting it down for much of Monday. The group also released what it said were audio experts from St. Louis County dispatch on the day Brown was killed. Police declined to comment on the recordings Wednesday.

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. OmonA posted on 08/14/2014 10:35 AM
    is it just me or do the these murderers called the police always get away with such hideous crimes. This was clearly a case of racial aggression and it's no surprise who the aggressor is. If it was up to white people, they would do what the terrorist groups are attempting to do in parts other parts of the world, kill all people who don't like them! Give me a break, the unarmed teen was going for his gun, how many times are we going to hear the same old nonsense. These police are trained to use excessive force towards black people because they are heartless, cold animals period.
  2. AbbyW posted on 08/14/2014 01:53 PM
    I used to trust the police until I witnessed how they protect each other by prejudicing their behaviour against the public. Now I look at them as corrupt until they prove otherwise.
  3. dama posted on 08/15/2014 03:22 PM
    He said . she said..

    Wished there is a video showing the police pumping those shots into Brown, like the Yatim's video, also without the video, they are out protesting.. not Torontonian..
    what a difference..

    and the situation involving police shooting every where is not getting better...
showing all comments

Sign Up For Breaking News Alerts

Becoming a member only takes 60 seconds! Members get access to exclusive information and products that non-members do not, including concert ticket presales, trips, advance notice on upcoming entertainment events, movie screening passes, music giveaways and more!

Login with Facebook

Stay connected 24/7! Receive breaking news and programming alerts right to your inbox. CLICK HERE to sign-up.

Today's Poll

Toronto Police have revised its policy on carding but it will remain a tool for officers to use. Chief Bill Blair calls it an "essential means to preventing crime" Do you agree?

Voting is restricted to one vote every 24 hour(s) VoteResults

Top Stories