NEWS
 
No DIY for mushrooms: Toronto Public Health
The Health Unit is urging Torontonians not to pick and eat wild mushrooms...
1 0

Public health authorities in Toronto are warning people not to eat wild mushrooms after a resident was hospitalized after eating a poisonous variety.

Toronto Public Health says the patient consumed a type of wild mushroom identified as Amanita, which it says can be fatal.

An official refused to comment on the patient's condition, citing confidentiality.

In a statement, the agency reminds the public not to pick and eat mushrooms found growing in the wild. It says some varieties may look similar to mushrooms that are safe to consume, but are in fact poisonous.

Symptoms most commonly associated with eating poisonous mushrooms include nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps and diarrhea. More severe symptoms include sweating, convulsions, hallucinations and coma.

Health officials say deaths are rare and most people recover from eating poisonous mushrooms, but residents should play it safe.

``While it may be tempting for some residents to forage for wild mushrooms, it can be difficult to determine if mushrooms growing in the wild are edible or poisonous,'' said Dr. Margaret Thompson, medical director of the Ontario Poison Centre at the Hospital for Sick Children in a statement.

``Our advice is to not take the risk.''

Categories:

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. AbbyW posted on 08/28/2014 11:05 AM
    I'm surprised Public Health hasn't closed all the parks and green space in order to protect citizens.
showing all comments

DON'T MISS

PEOPLE'S VOICE AWARDS

HELP US VOTE FOR A WINNER!

Listen to the finalists in the PEOPLE'S VOICE AWARD contest and help us vote for the winner of $5,000 PLUS a guest spot on Moore in the Morning's Roundtable!

IN-DEPTH & INTERACTIVE

SIGN UP FOR THE NEWSLETTER TO GET PRESALE TICKETS!

TED RADIO HOUR

We've got a new show! Welcome to TED Radio Hour hosted by Guy Raz, Saturdays at 6pm and Sundays at 7pm

MILLARD TRIAL

Stories from the trial of Dellen Millard for the murder of Tim Bosma

 
1 0

Public health authorities in Toronto are warning people not to eat wild mushrooms after a resident was hospitalized after eating a poisonous variety.

Toronto Public Health says the patient consumed a type of wild mushroom identified as Amanita, which it says can be fatal.

An official refused to comment on the patient's condition, citing confidentiality.

In a statement, the agency reminds the public not to pick and eat mushrooms found growing in the wild. It says some varieties may look similar to mushrooms that are safe to consume, but are in fact poisonous.

Symptoms most commonly associated with eating poisonous mushrooms include nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps and diarrhea. More severe symptoms include sweating, convulsions, hallucinations and coma.

Health officials say deaths are rare and most people recover from eating poisonous mushrooms, but residents should play it safe.

``While it may be tempting for some residents to forage for wild mushrooms, it can be difficult to determine if mushrooms growing in the wild are edible or poisonous,'' said Dr. Margaret Thompson, medical director of the Ontario Poison Centre at the Hospital for Sick Children in a statement.

``Our advice is to not take the risk.''

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. AbbyW posted on 08/28/2014 11:05 AM
    I'm surprised Public Health hasn't closed all the parks and green space in order to protect citizens.
showing all comments

Top stories

Private member's bill takes aim at sales of water heaters, furnaces