Discontinued Olympic Events
Not Kidding. These are all legit Olympic events that were dropped over the years.
- Swimming Obstacle Race – In 1900, there was a swimming race that also featured a pole the swimmers had to climb up and down, a barrage of boats they had to climb over and another group of boats they had to swim beneath.
- Pelota – Another event from 1900, pelota was pretty much a competitive game of catch. The first guy who dropped the ball lost.
- Solo Synchronized Swimming – No joke. Between 1984 and 1992, you could have gotten an Olympic gold medal for being in perfect sync … with yourself.
- Plunge for Distance Diving − This event from the 1904 Games had two rules: 1) Jump off a platform and 2) go into the water as far as you can go without moving your arms or legs.
- Club swinging − This “sport” was held during the 1904 and 1932 Games. Like rhythmic gymnastics with bowling pins, club swinging featured athletes whirling clubs around their bodies in various patterns.
- Pistol dueling − In 1906 there was actually an Olympic sport where you shot at dummies dressed in fancy coats – with a bulls-eye embroidered on the chest.
- Underwater Swimming – The 1900 Olympics also featured a race where competitors swam underwater for time and distance. Without waterproof cameras, this event was especially boring for spectators.