NEWSTALK STRICT JUNE 30-JULY 1
SATURDAY JUNE 30:
OH MY GOODNESS! It's the long weekend! And Canada Day no less — a day I hold in the highest regard. Wave your flag proudly and go do something memorable in the name of this great country — like volunteering, donating, visiting a lonely senior, cleaning someone's yard for free, pay for the coffee for the person waiting in line behind you. Great ways to celebrate this great day.
And — celebrate with fireworks! Let's start with:
1. VICTORY FIREWORKS: Lights, sparkle, action! Add some big bang, boom and blast to your holiday bash. If fireworks are on your July 1 festivities and holiday weekend, wow 'em with a fabulous fireworks display from Victory Fireworks. Light up your life with more than 250 items to choose from, including Angel Wins ($10), Night Creepers ($14) and 24-pack Air Bombs, regularly $30 on sale for $15! This nationwide, family owned operation delivers more bang for your buck, with a warehouse brimming with fire and sparkle. Plus, they carry every line of fireworks available in Canada as well as an exclusive assortment designed just for them. The team at Victory are licensed pyrotechnicians — they've used every firework they sell in elaborate displays.
— VICTORY FIREWORKS, 45 Sims Cr. (corner of East Beaver Creek and Sims), Richmond Hill, 905-707-0169, 1-800-363-4767, Victoryfireworks.com.; open today and Friday 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., call for this weekend's hours.
2. ROCKET FIREWORKS: Another company offering terrific deals on tons of fireworks is Rocket Fireworks, with several locations around the GTA and southern Ontario to choose from. The company offers retail as well as wholesale prices, with hundreds of products to choose from, all at substantial savings. Look for the Bahama mama only $17.99, the famous BattleShop monster firecracker cake on sale for $35, 100 glow bracelets for only $10 and the O Canada 2-Pack salute cake on special for $20. Check out the web page for the location nearest you.
— ROCKET FIREWORKS; Head Office, 14 Advance Rd., Etobicoke; 416 456-5057; Rocket.ca.
3. LENNY'S PASTA, PIZZA PLUS: Well, if you're looking for food ideas for the long weekend, look no further than the famous Lenny's Pasta, Pizza Plus shop --haven't been for awhile--and saw that owners Leo and Rose Fuda have really amped up the take-out section. Every day there's something new in the take-out including stuffed mushrooms, pizzas, sausages, grilled vegetables, chicken and veal cutlets, delicious meatballs and that famous lasagna meal to go. They even have ice cream now! You can now purchase Leo's famous salad dressing along with homemade pastas in the frozen food section. And of course you can order from the menu to go including different pastas, osso bucco with papardelle pasta, various vegetables, sausages, potatoes and so much more. The walls are crammed with plenty of specialty goodies to go. Pizzas are thin-crust with a variety of toppings and the famous drive-home lasagna deal — a family-size lasagna, a large salad, a loaf of bread and extra sauce all for only $23.95 plus tax — provided you pick it up before 6. Perfect food ideas for Canada Day!
— LENNY'S PASTA, PIZZA PLUS, 4748 Dundas st. W. (east of Islington Ave. W.) Etobicoke, Open seven days, 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. 416-239-2222.
SUNDAY JULY 1
1. WHAT'S OPEN? You'll be surprised at what's open this Canada Day weekend. In accordance with the Retail Business Holidays Act, when July 1st falls on a Sunday, the Canada Day holiday is observed on July 2nd, so you'll find many malls and shops open on the holiday Sunday — shopping destinations like Sherway Gardens (Hwy 427 & the QEW), definitely open on July 1, from 11am to 6pm, but definitely closed on the Monday. Check out Sherwaygardens.ca.
That said, Bramalea City Centre (BCC), succeeding in its bid to be recognized as a regional tourist attraction, has been granted an exemption — so not only is it open today, but tomorrow, too! open on statutory holidays beginning with Canada Day the first weekend in July. They'll be open regular hours today and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. tomorrow. Bramalea City Centre is located at Queen St. and Dixie Rd. in Brampton. BramaleaCityCentre.ca Other malls open tomorrow include Vaughan Mills (10 a.m. – 7 p.m.) Eaton Centre (10 a.m. – 6 p.m.), Pacific Mall (11 a.m. – 9 p.m.), and Square One (11 a.m. – 6 p.m.).
2. UK DESIGNER CLOTHING SALE: The famous UK Designer Clothing sale is celebrating Canada Day with a great pop up sale taking place this coming Sunday to Monday in Richmond Hill and here's your chance to pick up deals on an astonishing selection of ladies designer fashion from across the pond, all deeply discounted. Thousands of samples to choose from with prices to match--all tops, pants and skirts are $15, dresses $30 and coats and jackets are individually priced. Prices so low it's cash only.
— UK DESIGNER CLOTHING SALE, July 1-2, Sheraton Parkway Hotel, (Thornhill Room) 600 Hwy. 7 (Richmond hill); Sun, Mon, 10 a.m.to 4 p.m. Ukdesignersale.com.
3. MUTI SUMMER SALE: I loved the Muti &Co. warehouse sale at Christmas time — and now they're having an awesome summer sale starting this coming July 3. There's everything from planters to vases, collectibles to really unusual and eclectic home decor items and household items, with prices to match. Great time to gussy up the home or cottage with warm weather goodies.
— MUTI & Co. SUMMER WAREHOUSE SALE, July 3; 51 Hanlan Rd., Unit 1 (Woodbridge); Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; closed Sundays; 905-850-2520; Emuti.com.
Do you have a tip for Strictly Savings? Email me at email@example.com. Listen for further deals weekend mornings on the Larry Fedoruk show with technical producer Justin Ecock, Newstalk 1010; (Newstalk1010.com).