NEWSTALK STRICT JULY 28-29/12
SATURDAY JULY 28:
It's mid-summer but already I'm receiving back-to-school ideas, holiday entertaining tips, Halloween hints — and Christmas shopping finds! Let's not rush the season, folks! That said, the CNE's opening up Aug. 17, so you know all this info is going to come in handy sooner than you think. Until then, enjoy the following:
1. PATIO FURNITURE FACTORY TENT SALE: Believe it or not, this is the perfect time for patio furniture shopping, and there's a huge tent sale taking place at Patio Furniture in Markham featuring major savings on everything from tables to umbrellas, sectionals to outdoor dining sets. There are goodies as little as $5 (pillows), single dining chairs for around $30, and umbrellas, all sizes, starting at $40. You can pick up a 4-piece "deepseating" set, regularly $2,500 on sale for $895, oval woven tables, regularly $1,000 on sale for $100! Lots to choose from, with goods priced to go asap!
— PATRIO FURNITURE FACTORY TENT SALE, to July 29, 4940 Sheppard Ave. E. (between McCowan and Markham Rd.), 416 298-4770, Thurs-Fri, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sun, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
2. NORTH COUNTRY SPORTS: North Country Sports is hosting the big Crocs and Callaway Shoes and Shirts event now on at the International Centre and here's your chance to take advantage of savings on golf shirts ($29.99 each or two for $50), golf shoes, only $40 (valuedas high as $250!0 plus thousands of Crocs in all sorts of styles. This warehouse is huge and the discount savings are deep for these favourite finds. Sale runs to Aug. 19.
— NORTH COUNTRY SPORTS CROCS AND CALLAWAY SHOES AND SHIRTS SALE, International Centre, 6900 Airport Rd. Hall 7,Mon-Thurs, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Fri, Sat. Sun, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., SECOND LOCATION: Stouffville Country Market, 12555 10th Line, Stouffville; Wed-Fri, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sat. 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sun, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., 905-642-2290; Nc-sports.com.
3. SALEVENT.CA MILTON WAREHOUSE SALE: There's a huge sale event taking place at the Sports Centre in Milton, and it's one of those events featuring several major warehouses all under one roof. Prices are amazing, products are fabulous and with savings up to 75% and more off a huge assortment of items, it's a great place to visit. Look for deals on name band items that include Fruits&Passion, Revlon, Almay, L'Oreal as well as Oreck air purifiers, Crock shoes and Haggar clothing for men and women 70% off the retail. Good place to stock up on towels, and linens even pillows as little as $5 (good for those going into residence!) Sale's on until Sunday.
— WAREHOUSE SALE, to July 29, The Sports Centre, Arena A, 605 Santa Maria Blvd., (off Derry Rd.) Milton, Thurs, Fri, 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., Sat. 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sun, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Salevent.ca.
SUNDAY JULY 29
1. EVYMAMA: We know the city just brims with beautiful maternity shops. And Evymama is an absolute gem, an exquisite nursing and maternity clothing, bras and lingerie shop that not only makes a pregnant mama look fabulous but feel fabulous, too. It's also a nursing specialty store. I drive by this shop every day and the storefront fashion alone is worth stopping in rush hour traffic. Along with breastfeeding clothing, there's also stylish nursing tops, dresses, sleepwear, eveningwear, lingerie — the list is endless. There's also expert bra fitting for nursing bras and clothing, diaper bags, baby carriers, slings, wraps and breastpump rentals and sales. "We are mothers, and we know mothering," says owner Sarah Kaplan, trained in lactation management by INFACT Canada. "Our experienced staff can fit you correctly for a new bra, teach you babywearing, help with breastfeeding troubles, and advise you on your pregnancy and nursing wardrobe. And we especially love to talk to other mamas, so grab a comfy chair in our nursing lounge and enjoy a shopping experience designed for mothers, by mothers." Right now there's a fabulous 50% off summer apparels, so definitely pop in and say hello!
— EVYMAMA Nursing and Maternity Boutique, 266 Jane St. (north of Bloor St. west side), 416-913-0546, Evymama.ca, Mon.-Wed, Fri.,and Sat. 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., (Thurs. to 8 p.m.) Sun., noon to 5 p.m. 2nd LOCATION: 230 Danforth Ave. (at Playter). Same hours.
2. CHEESEWERKS: If there's one food that shines through all seasons it has to be cheese. Soft, hard, local, from across the globe, on its own, incorporated into a recipe — cheese rocks. There has to be a ka-zilion cheeses (well, it seems that way), and if you're as big a cheese lover as I am, then you definitely want to head out to Cheesewerks, a restaurant that's, well, all about cheese! Cheesewerks offers a specially crafted menu made up of artisan grilled cheese sandwiches, house-made soups, fine cheese and other "gourmet grub" that you can enjoy with a glass of wine or small-batch artisan brew. It's an ooey-goeey goodness type of place, that serves up comfort with every culinary creation. Signature sandwiches include Balderson Aged and double smoked cheddars grilled on cracked peppercorn sourdough, havarti with smashed avocado, arugula, citrus compote grilled on Angeligus sourdough and a jalapeno and braised brisket with house-made BBQ sauce grilled on marble sourdough. Yum!
"Our menu is anchored by our 'legend dairy' grilled cheese, but we offer Mac 'N Cheese, cheese fondue, cheese selections, charcuterie, and artisan beer and wine. Plus, we have special events where items like Nachos and Racellete become the stars for the evening," says owner and cheese lover Kevin Durkee. Pop in and enjoy the ambience, consider throwing a cheese event, order takeout (but eat it fast — it is, after all, grilled cheese) and, yes, there's catering, too.
— CHEESEWERKS, 56 Bathurst St. (corner of Bathurst and Wellington); 416 243-3327; Cheesewerks.com.
3. PET VALU WASH YOUR DOG FOR ONLY $15! DETAILS TBA
Do you have a tip for Strictly Savings? Email me at email@example.com. Listen for further deals weekend mornings on the Larry Fedoruk show with technical producer Justin Ecock, Newstalk 1010; (Newstalk1010.com).